Tips for studying large amounts of complex information

chbare

Figured I'd throw this out. I'm in the middle of a few hundred pages of material. The study guide for the material is 30 pages long. I'm trying to find ways of optimising my notes. I started by hitting the big points. For example: biotransformation, then it breaks into phase I and phase II, then under phase one I put hydrolysis, reduction, oxidation. However, under hydrolysis there are seven different processes such as epoxide hydrolases and paroxonases. Then, each sub point has a different pathway associated with it. Reduction has eight points and oxidation has nine, each relating to different pathways. This doesn't include phase II or all of the CYP450 enzymes and their major substrate molecules.

I'll be doing this every week followed by an exam and an essay so the tempo will be sustained over the next semester. Anyway, those of you who've had to deal with complex classes that involve large reading assignments with content rich subject matter, I'd love to hear about what helped you out.

Chris, I studied for my Project management professional exam over the past year or so. There are numerous processes involved in the study each of them having the same type of breakdown as you are having to do.

I never did figure out how to get them all in my head because each process builds upon the other which the builds upon the first and then the third and then the 9th and so on and so on.

It was by far the hardest test that I've ever had to take. If I had a worst enemy, I would wish this test on them.

I will never attempt this test again.

Yeah, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and I'm not sure my biochemistry is up to par on many of the concepts. I'm placing post it notes on pages that look important and taking notes on major headings but I'm not really sure how good I'm really doing. I've made my way through general bio transformation and all of the phase I reactions and now I'm working through the cytochrome P450 enzymes, all 57 of the major players in humans. Then onto phase II reactions followed by a test.

I'm not feeling like I'm really getting most of it down.

For some of the more complicated processes or concepts I was trying to learn I found an empty classroom with a big white board and just started putting it up on the board. I'd set a goal for reading (complete certain concepts, get to a certain page etc...) and once I reached that goal I'd take a break from reading to write it all out.

I don't know how time efficient it was but it was something I found that worked for me.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this will help at the level that you're talking, but I was convinced by someone once that the best way to learn and retain more complex information is by reducing it.

In medic school I would read a paragraph, highlight then only the sentences in the paragraph that completed the thought it meant to convey, and then reduce those to the fewest possible words for flashcards. I ended up doing that through the rest of my college classes (the more complex the material, the better it seems to work for me) and now do it for everything.

What seems to happen is that to force a word out of my mental process I have to really understand it first. And I try really hard to eliminate every possible word.

Anyway, for what it's worth, it might be worth a try for a few paragraphs. But for it to work you have to be committed to eliminating every, single, possible word...

I'd be interested in your thoughts..as I can always use a new way to study...

• Like 1

Thanks Dwayne. That is what I've been doing, highlighting major concepts and taking notes the best way I know. It's just a bit overwhelming with a 30 page study guide and a few hundred pages of material followed by an exam. Then, rinse and repeat for next week. Hopefully I'll get into a groove and quit being such a cry baby.

You know what Brother, I have no experience, so no context for study at that level.

But I know that if I had to put money on someone to be able to excell in that arena, my money would certainly be on you.

So yeah, stop being a baby...

:-)

In undergrad i was never able to find a method of study that worked very well for me, and now im in postgraduate study, i still cannot find a method that is repeatable, it annoys me to no end