Good ways to kill patients

281mustang

Make absolutely sure that your IV is patent prior to giving a med......got burned by FD on that one

Yeah especially if you are going to give an IV with Potassium Chloride in it or if you are going to give D50. Not a good thing to see sloughing of the skin if you are the one at fault for having a faulty IV or not checking patency first. (first hand experience with this I have)

Well as a new provider I would encourage you to partner up with a seasoned provider & remember these rules. #1 Remember your ABC's. #2 Remember when all else fails to use your BLS skills ( BVM, Control Bleeding, Nasal Airways, Oral Airways, Oxygen & Suction etc) #3 Never assume that your oxygen is on & that your IV is patent. #4 Recheck & verify.

gawd......be funny if it wasn't....

1: the person giving it

2: anyone else in attendance

3: the patient......

otherwise it would be hilarious to watch the antics when it all takes effect....

Some crazy stories here. There is a reason the paralytics come with a red top.

NEVER give someone on chronic opiates 2mg of IV narcan, NEVER.

Never give narcan to someone who is walking around your scene, following commands but a little confused.

#3 Never assume that your oxygen is on & that your IV is patent.

Very important one. Even if you know you turned it on...you never know who may have thought differently and also turned it on (in turn shutting it off) OR draining your tank and not knowing it (you are under the impression your partner moved the line to the K tank and, instead, left it on the D tank for a long haul).

Also, if anyone is pulling your meds - make sure they hand you the vial with the syringe so you can also confirm which med is being given - trust no one. Heard of this happening on my own service where the medic asked for zofran and was handed the drawn up med and injected only to find out it was (I think) amiodarone. Error occurred because the vials looked similar and the person drawing them up didn't have his reading glasses.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.