Medic One in Seattle?

Caduceus

He is. There are 4 options for why a BLS ambulance in Seattle from AMR (or any BLS ambulance) would bring a patient to the hospital that was being mechanically ventilated by EMT's; none of those are run of the mill things, and EMT's being responsible for a patient in that condition would not be the norm.

Keep in mind that within Seattle AMR plays a very limited role; they are only dispatched to BLS calls; requests from the scene will happen after someone has already assessed the patient and determined them as non-emergent. They are responsible ONLY for transport of the patient to the hospital and while on scene, even if for an extended time will have little to no responsibility or role in caring for the patient.

Keep in mind that MikeEMT has very very limited EMS experience, and it all comes from working for AMR in Seattle; he has no exposure to any other system or department and obviously hasn't looked anywhere but into the mirror to try and learn anything.

And given his past when his bullshit get pointed out, won't be posting again for quite awhile.

Funny Triemal, I miss him already, he's already been absent on this thread since about the 2nd page. You know this site and it's members have really good BS detectors.

But unfortunately, some will be fooled. I sure was a while ago. It took some really good people here to help me with it, so maybe there are some of those same really good people here who can work with Mike to help him break his rose colored glasses.

Edited by Ruffmeister Paramedic

I will concede to Mike as I may have had some geocentric bias. Where I did EMS, pretty much everyone was a volley doing 911 calls. Some people got jobs at privates such as AMR, TransCare or other locals that pretty much did renal roundup, nursing home transports and IFTs. In my little part of the world, everyone did the "big" calls and only a few did the not-so-sexy calls (but they did it for pay). I guess it is a little backwards from the rest of the world, but it is NY so what do you expect, we move to the beat of our own drum.

Fair points of which I'm aware. But it's the Holidays. I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt ;)

Well Merry Christmasukkahquanzaramadan to you too.

Hm. Not only have I learned about Medic One but I have learned not to be arrogant in EMS. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

I generally call bullshit on Medic One.

Overall they offer a level of care that is no higher than your average American jurisdiction with a Medical Director who is not a muppet.

They utilise the local fire department for rapid automated defibrillation - nothing different than is already done with, for example the New Zealand Fire Service or the Metropolitan Fire Brigade and County Fire Authority in VIctoria.

They go on about survival to discharge for witnessed VF (and I think VT) only - well big shit, that's very selective reporting of the best possible data.

Forty years ago Dr Leonard Cobb and Gordon Vickery set up what was, at the time, a great system for the best possible chances of surviving a cardiac arrest.

It's now forty years later and survival from cardiac arrest pales compared to all the other things which have become important yet it's all they seem to focus on.

If as much effort was put into the 99% of patients who are not in cardiac arrest as to the 1% who are then who knows where things would be, and Medic One probably wouldn't be able to keep up their hot air filled reputation.

And yes, when I visit Seattle if somebody has a cardiac arrest infront of me I'll probably call Medic One ... maybe, if the Lifepak 10 in my rental car don't fix 'em up :D