Transported against her will

It was some years back but I went through several similar calls and in each case we did not transport.  The only time I ever transported a patient against her will was a Cancer Pt who was to be taken from home to hospital and everyone but the patient wanted her to go including the doctor who had arranged for the transport.  It was the patients failure to answer the A&O X 3 questions that decided the outcome.  I still wish her family could have born up under the stress of having her die at home.  If they had only had good hospice counseling we might have avoided putting the patient through the fear of "going to die."

--

Tom

It was some years back but I went through several similar calls and in each case we did not transport.  The only time I ever transported a patient against her will was a Cancer Pt who was to be taken from home to hospital and everyone but the patient wanted her to go including the doctor who had arranged for the transport.  It was the patients failure to answer the A&O X 3 questions that decided the outcome.  I still wish her family could have born up under the stress of having her die at home.  If they had only had good hospice counseling we might have avoided putting the patient through the fear of "going to die."

--

Tom

Can you explain what you mean by "avoided putting the patient through the fear of "going to die""   What do you mean by that?

Can you explain what you mean by "avoided putting the patient through the fear of "going to die""   What do you mean by that?

The patient believed that she was being transported to her death.  With proper hospice counseling she need not have been subjected to that additional dose of fear.  Even if it was not possible to care for her at home she would have known what to expect and transport need not have been as terrifying as it ended up being for her. 

--

Tom

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.