Gender Uncertainty & Good Manners

Jaymazing

Yeah, I had a male who identified as female, it took me a couple of times identifying him has HIM and then finally converted for this patients request. talked to that patient like he was a she for the rest of the ER visit. When you can do that for a patient, it provides them with the respect that they ask for. I got a glowing thank you card and a Press Gainey Patient satisfaction survey that blew our Risk management and quality people out of the water. All for just the little act of my preserving the dignity of a traveller who suffered a migraine headache and decided to stop by our small ER in our small town.

I don't work in a medical environment, but I am often mistaken for a guy even though I am a girl. On a regular basis people call me "sir". Doesn't really bother me, but I'd just want people to ask. Gets it out of the way as soon as possible, and if someone addressed me the way I wanted to be, as Capt said, then I'd definitely feel like I got a lot of respect from that person and I'd be glad they asked rather than continued being wrong/guessing.

Edited by Caduceus

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.