Gender Uncertainty & Good Manners

Jaymazing

Because I work in the second largest gay community in the world (atlanta), so this is an every day or at least every week occurence for me. Sorry if you cant handle the truth.

then you should know that being transgendered, transvestite or simply you look like a guy or a gal has nothing to do with your sexual orientation

I like in BFE Iowa and have a few people here that I want to call Pat. Not because they are gay. Transgendered or whatever, just simply because you can't tell.

Because I work in the second largest gay community in the world (atlanta), so this is an every day or at least every week occurence for me. Sorry if you cant handle the truth.

wow, that was incredibly arrogant Mikey

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Jay, what else would work is for permission to transport and treat paperwork, tell them you need their full name, spelled out act like you are filling it out before you have them sign

wow, that was incredibly arrogant Mikey

especially since this has nothing to do with being gay

Give me a situation where it matters to us.

OK here is your scenario,...... you are me.

2nd scenario: You call for orders: "Hello Dr, I have a 22 year old bla bla bla....." Dr asks the gender, *you look like an idiot.

Scenario 3: Abd pain at or below the level of the navel.

• Like 2

I didn't realize that being a transvestite made someone gay!!!! I have one friend at one of my previous work places who is transgendered and he's straight, just considers himself a woman.

I also didn't realize that someone who looks like a man who is really a woman is automatically gay.

Your statement is very arrogant.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Scenario 3: Abd pain at or below the level of the navel.

But come on, how often does that actually happen? Oh wait, it's the most common complaint in the ER and accounts for about 5% of all ER complaints.

had a person we knew that wanted to be a woman.

Went through the gender re-assignment program surgery & all.

The he/she found out that she really liked woman.

So does that make he/she a LESBIAN ??????

Bob became Liz

That almost makes my head hurt to think about.

With the ePCR, maybe you could have the pt fill out their demographics, if their condition allows. You could try saying something like, "I hate to do this, but it is required that I ask you, are you genetically male or female?"

• Like 1

Just ask.

"I don't mean to cause offense and I'd rather make sure we know how you would like to be addressed... are you genetically male or female, and how do you identify? Are there any other special things we should know about you to make sure you get the best treatment?"

The angry ones will be angry regardless... the other folks will appreciate the sensitivity.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.