Better study up on statins

According to the CNN this is big news. Here's what I got in my email inbox today

Twice as many Americans may soon be taking statins, the most popular cholesterol-lowering drugs, under new guidelines released Tuesday by the American Heart Association.

The guidelines call for a focus on risk factors rather than just cholesterol levels.

Myself as well CH. Being a diabetic and being under the care of a very very good Endocrinologist (their clinic ranks 11th in the country), they are into this preventive medicine and they had me on both meds until just 3 months ago when they decided to do a trial on me of taking me off one of the medications. (for now I cannot remember which one they took me off). My cholesterol and triglycerides have gone down with my being off the one medication and my doc called and said that she wanted to keep me off the medicine for 3 more months to see what happens again.

But she did say she wanted me to go see a cardiologist as part of my Diabetes regimen before this year was out, so I guess another appointment is in the works for me. Thank God for Obamacare right???

I'm sure that cardiologist will put me right back on my meds again. Sure he'll say it's for the best.

I tend to follow the money.

Here's the thing... statins are linked to musculoskeletal injury. Oddly enough, I work on an ortho floor, and guess how many of my non-gross-traumatic-yet-non-elective surgery patients appear to be taking a statin?

Yes, statins have some data backing decreased mortality.... but like all medications are not without serious potential for side effect.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN

I may be in the minority, but I am not all that convinced that cholesterol lowering agents really impact mortality. The evidence is not significantly compelling. Most of my issues are lipid based and I do not currently take statins, but I am not all that confident that Lovaza therapy decreases mortality. Certainly, the literature is not all that strong when it comes to people with CAD and their outcomes. However, providing I can afford it and the complications are minimal to none, I am going to continue to take meds. I am torn on the statins as it is likely I will be a candidate for these agents with the new guidelines that go into effect.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.