Tactical Medic for SWAT

I was hoping someone could give me a sort of guideline on how to get into the SWAT team as a tactical medic. I've heard different things from people and now am unsure of what to do.

My original plan was to do AEMT and get my Paramedic degree. Then put in years of experience and go from there.

I talked to a Paramedic a couple day ago and he suggest I just get my EMT-B, which I'm almost done with, I just have to wait on Nationals, and then get into the Police Academy and go that route instead to put years experience as a police officer.

At this point, since there is not a lot of information out there, I don't know how I would go about this. I want to be a medic, but I also want to be apart of the SWAT team. Point being is that I want to be on SWAT team some day. I know I will be competing with a lot of people, etc etc.

Since I am by no means in any physical shape right now to go to the Police Academy anytime soon, my plan is this so far. Next semester start my AEMT and training for the Police Academy so that hopefully sometime next year, around this time, I can get into the Police Academy.

Any suggestions, ideas?

Thanks for any help. I really do appreciate it.

You will need to research your area to figure out what is best. Some SWAT teams employ their own medic, others rely on volunteers from their local EMS provider. If you are a volunteer from your agency, you obviously have pay and liability issues (will your work comp cover you while doing dangerous duty outside your department -- will your employer pay you to sit at a hostage scene for 24 hours ?). If I were you, I would go the Police Academy Route to ensure you are compensated and covered. There is no reason to go much higher than EMTB or A, as your primary function will be a first responder to trauma, until the victim can be dragged to the nearby ambulance crew.

Aaden, not really sure how to answer this. This is such a blanket type question.

If your goal is swat, go the police route. Find a department that fits what you are looking for and immerse yourself in prep to get in tthere. In the mean time work to get in better shape.

I'll put it like this to you, our local SWAT team has 2 medics and 35+ members. You do the math, do you have better odds at gettting on as a medical provider or as and LEO?

I was hoping someone could give me a sort of guideline on how to get into the SWAT team as a tactical medic. I've heard different things from people and now am unsure of what to do.

Since I am by no means in any physical shape right now to go to the Police Academy anytime soon, my plan is this so far. Next semester start my AEMT and training for the Police Academy so that hopefully sometime next year, around this time, I can get into the Police Academy.

Any suggestions, ideas?

If you are not in physical condition to do the police academy :: then you are not in condition to be a medic, swat or otherwise.

Get healthy and in condition then spend your time getting street experience . Once you have years of experience then apply to join a tactical team.

You will need to research your area to figure out what is best. Some SWAT teams employ their own medic, others rely on volunteers from their local EMS provider. If you are a volunteer from your agency, you obviously have pay and liability issues (will your work comp cover you while doing dangerous duty outside your department -- will your employer pay you to sit at a hostage scene for 24 hours ?). If I were you, I would go the Police Academy Route to ensure you are compensated and covered. There is no reason to go much higher than EMTB or A, as your primary function will be a first responder to trauma, until the victim can be dragged to the nearby ambulance crew.

hmm Thanks. I tried to search some information online for the SWAT team in my area but couldn't find any information. I might need to just go talk to the Sherifs office to get more information. Since I'm almost done with my EMT-B, in the mean time I'm just going to go ahead at get my AEMT. Couldn't hurt.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.