Helping Students with NREMT CBT

So I have a few students who have done a majority of their Field Clinical's with e for their BLS Certifications. They are at the "usual" entry level ratings, and did fairly well in their Course, and are taking the NR Exams. Now I an a NREMT, and only became NR after 7 years as a state certified and passed on the first attempt, oddly enough in the middle 50 questions. My perception of the NR CBT compared to the NY Written is NR is "reality based", best fitting answer based on the information given, and the State Written is… well, bookworm written.

Many of the students have failed their first, and a few failed their second attempt, and they have asked me for help. I have been going through the many EMT test review books have collected in the last decade, and as well as "Oral Scenario Reviews". I know their problem lies in the situation based answers, and on the NR test, the "text book answer" is not always the right answer for the exam. I was wondering if their are any of you guys who might have some other suggestions on how to "drill" them to work on their "clinical aptitude and critical thinking" to help them be more ready for their next NR test.

These student show excellent promise as EMT's.

Hooch is crazy...

Anyway...

Man this is a really legitimate, but tough question.. How to teach critical thinking.

You know I think the problem is that we teach EMT's flowcharts and acronyms. Then in scenario's we try to test them on concepts which involves critical thinking.

I really think critical thinking has to be taught on the street. I just keep asking "Why", until they cant stand me anymore.

I think it is a little unfair to expect critical thinking in the classroom unless they are taught pathophysiology.

Edited by mobey
  • Like 1

Ill take crazy as a compliment...

Now a days, im starting to feel as if i should encourage students to work in the field for a year or two, or three in the matter of NY. This way, they can get that "critical thinking" cap fitted to their head a decent amount, and then let them have at the NREMT. In working my way up the ladder in instruction, I look for intuitive and "crazy" ways to get students to really learn the material I am teaching. If your going to teach them, do it right the first time, and hopefully it takes.

As far as the present goes, ill just help in whatever ways i can for these students short of taking the exam for them

What really helped me was our tests and quizzes being given in registry question type format instead of just direct questions.

I would suggest jb learning, vue online etc.

Now protocols and treatments have changed some in the last year and text books have not been updated to keep up with the NREMT so while the answers may be right in the book, they may actually be wrong for nremt testing.

I would take a glance at this site and maybe show it to your student that are having issues , it helped me a lot..

WWW.EMT-National-Training.com

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.