Ride Along Etiquette?

Caduceus

That day was a bad day. Had the patient not have been semi drugged then I fear that that scenario would have ended very very differently. And had there not have been 5 additional people along with my newbie having his hands on the hand with the knife, I'm afraid the the police would possibly have shot the guy and again it would have ended very very differently.

This changed the way that I precepted/FTO'd new people. I sat them down and laid it out. Told them that if they wandered off without telling me even to go to the bathroom unless we were at the station or at post, then they were off the truck. I got much more lax further out from that incident but for several years it was "Don't go anywhere without tellng me where you are going, end of discussion" If they asked me why I was so distrusting or anal about it, I told them about the situation. Usually they would say "I would never do anything like that" and I said, "That's what the other guy said as well".

But that call is one of the calls that I have packed away in my closet in my head which only rears it's ugly head every once in a while and it's usually in a dream with the newbie getting killed and the patient getting shot. Nightmares to say the least.

@clutzyEMT

Okay, wow, that was the best post I have read on any forum.

It is a big responsibility to have someone's life in my hands. It's something that I don't think I'm completely ready for--but I trust myself to do what I need to in an emergency should the time come that I have to step in and help or if I am the only one who can do anything.

That was a really great post but I am met with two issues on this front. One, the town I live in is the only town in a very small fire district, and the station is unmanned. So it may be hard to contact anyone to actually do a ride along; I was thinking I could try and do one in a neighboring city.

By the way, congratulate your son for being officially cooler than me.

Sometimes I wonder about the choices I have made in the past about medical emergencies I have witnessed. I lament my inability to have done ANYTHING during those instances. And as you said, I might get in over my head. . .and I wonder what will happen if I do? The last thing I want is to become a burden to the crew.

Again I thank you for your post and I will definitely be asking you for advice in the future.

@uglyEMT The football games are a really great idea, however as I mentioned before, I can't help out around our local station that often because it is unmanned. And the local fire department isn't the one that stands by at football games, it's city guys, so how should I go about asking if I can help them? Should I go to the city fire station one day and drop by to talk to them, or should I call? Email is not the best idea, I think.

@Capt

We find the overdose patient and our new guy in a wrestling match with the new guy holding the overdose patients hand which has a 6 inch bladed knife. My new guy has already been cut on the arm and he's screaming "help help help".

Wowza, that's a great idea, Capt. I'll bring that up when I get around to asking. But I'd really like more training first after all this talk, more experience ya know? I don't wanna be a complete rookie; I know I'm not gonna impress anybody with first aid/CPR, but what the hell. And you're right, you guys only know me through these posts but I appreciate that you have faith in me at least. :) I'm definitely good at doing what I'm told and staying out of the way.

OK I know it doesn't sound fun or exciting but you can learn a lot. I know with all the new recruits I made sure they did rig checks constantly.

Hey! That's also a good idea and I feel like I could learn a lot from that. In order to become a career paramedic in my county, you also have to be a firefighter, so something like that with the fire engines too would be a really good idea.

All in all, I hope this post doesn't sound angry or rude, it's not meant to. It should sound respectful to everyone but if I'm not on top of my game tonight I may have said something rude by mistake.

I want to thank everyone for the welcome and for offering all their help and advice. You guys are the best!

• Like 1

Caduceus I think the best way to find out would be to go up and ask them. If you see them at the game or elsewhere go up and ask. The individual my not know off hand the procedure but I am sure they would be able to give you contact info for a supervisor or Capt or even a Crew Cheif. The Crew Cheif would most likely be at the event as well. Yes go up and introduce yourself in person. Over the phone can work as well for basic information but nothing like meeting face to face. The game standby's, as we call them, would be a great experience for you. You may not be actually working on folks but being around the crews and seeing how they operate will do wonders. Heck they may even let you put a band-aid on (thats not a dig at you personally, its about liability thats all)

Even though your local station is unmanned, most Vollies are, they still show up from time to time and do rig checks, drills, meetings, ect. Try finding out when a meeting is or when they check out their rigs. That would be a good time to say Hi. As an after thought, don't do it after a call. A) That would be bad form and B ) They may not be in the best frame of mind. Learning the equipment during rig check is great learning experience. For one you get to know the different things and what they do and why. Second you get to understand why certain things are done and start to gain the knowledge as to why we do certain things at certain times.

As far as experience goes, take classes get your certifications once your eligiable. In the meantime take whatever local first aid, cpr classes are around that you can even online ones. The best experience is hands on experience.

I hope you don't think some are coming of as crass when we talk about liability, it has nothing to do with you personally. One of the first things you learn is we all follow protocols (these vary from area to area) and we always CYB (cover your behind). Its amazing how fast we get sued over what can be percived as minor things so certain things are not able to be done.

Keep asking those questions and I am sure someone will try and help in anyway possible. You can always PM if you have a question that you don't want everyone to see.

Edited by uglyEMT

I will definitely go and ask this Friday, just heard from my friend that that's when the next game is. I'd really like to do it and like you said it's good experience in a controlled environment.

I know an EMT who lives on my street and hey tomorrow is Halloween and I'm checking out the station's party (hey, guess what I'm dressing as: AN EMT!) So I can talk with the guys there :) Anyway to get experience I am happy with, I don't care if I sweep the ambulance bay or wash the fire engine. I just want to be in the station or with a crew. . .It sounds weird but I feel really happy when I am around these people.

None of you sound crass or obnoxious. Honestly you are all like aunts and uncles to me XD I understand the liability issues and the last thing I want is for someone to get their ass chewed because of something I did. I appreciate everyone making it clear to me the severity of the consequences that can come around from things that seem like no big deal.

And I will doubtlessly bring more questions to the table, more so than give answers anyway.

• Like 2

Well I went to the party and nothing much came of it. I talked to my mentor that lives on my street and he was dressed as Batman XD We joked around a bit.

But I have had a really crappy night considering my best friend ditched me so I was all alone. . .It really sucked and I'm mad.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you got ditched CAD~~hopefully things are going better now.

Did you have a chance to check into an EMR class? I still think that would be a great way to get your foot in the door :)

Thanks everyone for the nice comments in regards to my post...just trying to be honest~~if anything else, I've always been a huge supporter of getting people involved with EMS when they are young and to nurture them as best we can....us oldies can't run the ships forever and we need to mentor and guide those that are interested.......

Keep up posted on your adventures Cad~~ we look forward to hearing from you~

No, I have not been able to get into an EMR or first responder course. Enthusiasm on my parents part to pay/even LET me take it is low. I need to wait until I learn how to drive and get a good job so I can drive to/pay for it myself.

But I am doing an at-home type of first responder course. It won't get me a certification but I am learning a lot from it.

I got some info on a guy with volunteer info at the fire department.

But lately I have not been up to much. Just working hard at school and learning a lot about the heart & heart attacks.

• 1 year later...

I'm a 14 year old trained BLS/EMT which I guess you'd be 14 now too, It's hard to be young and be with working EMT's/paramedics...if anything wait...I dont think I should've joined so early but I did...Like stated it is hard to see someone die especially at such a young age...so from one 14 yo to another...just take it slow, you have plenty of years ahead of you

Bro, thanks for the advice, but I'm almost seventeen, I am in college, and I've been through a hell of a lot more stress than most kids my age. I appreciate the advice, but i am going to go with two things on deciding on doing a ride along 1) the advice that people I KNOW have years of experience and 2) if I personally feel ready for it. And I do.

After more than a year since posting this thread. :rolleyes2:

And it doesn't matter since I have to be 18 anyway.

Edited by Caduceus
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.