Ride Along Etiquette?

Caduceus

So I'm a fifteen year old wanting to do a ride along with the fire department in a nearby city. How should I call and arrange one, and how should I act during the ride along?

I do know first aid/CPR (though I know I won't use them) but I want to let them know this in a way that doesn't sound like I am bragging. I don't want to be a know it all, basically, I just need some insight on how this all-male department will expect a fifteen year old girl to act on a ride along.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cad

My personal opinion is to wait a few more years.

I don't think I'd allow a 15year old (male or female) to ride-along with us.

Just a little too grown up..... No offence intended, but if you watch someone die right in front of you at your age, it may change who you are forever, and not necessarily for the good.

This is no offense to you but you might have trouble finding a department that will allow a 15y/o female to ride with an all male crew. I was a member of a pretty progressive VAC and the youngest you could be to ride on calls was 16. In the event that you do get to do this, stay out of the way and look interested. Ask questions when it is appropriate but don't do it in a manner that makes it sound like you are second guessing the crew. Any good crew will ask about your level of knowledge. If they do, be honest and humble, "I only have first aid and CPR."

No offense taken. I totally understand where you're coming from but I've talked to several of the fireman in the department and they all sounded fine about it. Also I have seen people die, suddenly and terribly. . .but I know where you are coming from so I do appreciate that you would think of my psychological well-being when discussing this.

And thank you both for the advice. I really want to be a firefighter/EMT and sometimes I get very enthusiastic in discussions about it ^_^" So I do have to be careful and hold myself back a little.

I've heard some people bring desserts. Would this be appropriate?

Ah. I'll bring something like that then, but I may see one of the fireman here soon anyway. I talk to whatever crew is at the home football game in my town when I do, and I've gotten a pretty good picture of our department. They are all good guys.

And originally I had left it as male to avoid bias against female users. . .but at this point it's useless isn't it?

Ha. Awesome. It's a good thing that you're an ER doc and can patch yourself up. :) that's good to hear. On many forums and in real life I get put down for my gender. . .

So you are an ER doc. What do you think of physician's assistants? Was also considering this career.

EDIT: @ scubanurse Well awesome! Good work!

Edited by Caduceus

The line guys may be fine with it. But it's management you need approval from in order to actually ride. That'll be the catch. And management is looking at insurance and liability and legal concerns. Doesn't hurt to ask. Be ready to be told not yet.

If they tell you yes, and you can ride, coffee and donuts would be a welcome treat. Honestly, though, health conscious treats would be better. Use your discretion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.