Evidenced Based Care Protocols

M3l

First JWiley doing searches and research on why Sodium Bicarb might not be a great idea and now this!!!!! What the hell have we come to in EMS?

Good to have you here M3L (I hope that's an L).

There are some very very smart cookies here on this site (myself not one of them) and they will surely point you in the right direction.

Many of our protocols are being re-written due to evidence based medicine.

Cardiac care has changed drastically over the past decade due to science.

many of the standard first line meds for decades are no longer consider effective or even causing harm

A lot of trauma care has been changed also due to studies showing what works , what doesn't & what their not sure of either way.

Think permissive spinal immobilization or removal of MAST trousers from use.

TX of shock and bleeding control with tourniquets have been developed with trauma care studies done by the military and passed along to EMS because they are effective.

American heart association is a starting point as their journal Circulation is evidence based and free to access. All of the AHA guidelines are published and free to access through their site. Being from Australia, you may want to also look at the European Resuscitation Council (ERC) and the International Liason Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR).

Hello,

Any other good place to start is checking out the local hospitals care bundles or packages.

For example, the hypothermia protocol. Sepsis protocol. Sedation protocol. etc........

Plus, it is nice when the pre-hospital and the hospital are on the same page.

I would also read the Barr article on the current evidence on sedation, agitation, and delirium.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23269131

And, the new surviving sepsis 2012 guidelines;

http://www.sccm.org/Documents/SSC-Guidelines.pdf

Lastly, as I ramble on, the AIME textbook is a nice resource for airway protocols;

http://www.amazon.ca/Airway-Management-Emergencies-George-Kovacs/dp/0071470050

Oh...wait. The CRASH2 study for TXA in trauma patients.

Cheers

David

Being your from Australia I don't know if they have started or are light years ahead (probably light years ahead)of us but try looking into hypothermia treated cardiac arrest in the pre-hospital setting. We have started the procedures here and its evidence based.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.