Funny EMS Picts

jwiley40

I encountered a patient that the family told me he was a parapallegic (that screamed in pain if you touched his feet or legs!)

Interestingly enough, some paraplegics are extremely hypersensitive to sensation especially around their feet and legs. What you encountered is not only possible but well documented.

...was a quadrapallegic that could move his limbs (and scoot his wheel chair around with his feet, thinking we wouldn't notice)

There are varying extents of quadriplegia. Some have little sensation but some intact motor movement even in their legs. Enough to scoot their chair around? It's possible.

then that he was dx'd with "wandering hemipallegia."

What made you doubt him?

Yeah, I nearly gagged when they told me that. I still am working through that one..... scarred for life!!!

Nothing some light reading won't cure. :)

Edited by paramedicmike

• 3 months later...

I encountered a patient that the family told me he was a parapallegic (that screamed in pain if you touched his feet or legs!), was a quadrapallegic that could move his limbs (and scoot his wheel chair around with his feet, thinking we wouldn't notice) then that he was dx'd with "wandering hemipallegia." Yeah, I nearly gagged when they told me that. I still am working through that one..... scarred for life!!!

I have a good friend who is a modified quadriplegic as a result of a partial transection @ C-5/C6 in a motor racing crash.

He has some movement of his arms and can "hamfist things, but has little finger or thumb control.

He gets terrible pain in his lower legs and feet at times even though he can't tell you where you are touching his lower extremities.

He plays in a wheelchair basketball league and can on occasion move his legs , but has no strength or co-ordination of these movements.

Time to hit the books my friend

• 5 months later...

I've run the middle of the night toothache call. Very recently, as a matter of fact. Not an abcess, just a toothache. Nobody in the house would take him to the ER because even they knew nothing would be done for him, so he called 911. Boy, was he pissed when he was sent straight to the waiting room.

• 4 months later...

My father was considered a quadriplegic. He could feel his right side, but could not move it and he could move his left side, but could no feel it.

(And to keep the thread true....a pic)

48b9aa4e4dc37d1c819a0c1672694856.jpg

Edited by Violyn
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.