Starting EMT BASIC soon!

Bseda

Hey y'all I'm Brittany and I just recently graduated from high school and I am going to start EMT basic classes in January! I've struggled a little with figuring out what I wanted to become and eventually realized that my heart always knew what my head didn't and that is to become a EMT paramedic! I am more excited about starting classes and becoming an EMT and then eventually a paramedic than I have been about anything in my life, every day that's goes by I get more butterflies in my stomach and I was just wondering if y'all have any advice for me about EMT basic classes??

• Like 1

Welcome.

Read and study the book.

Pay attention in class.

Pay attention on your ride alongs.

Learn when it's appropriate to ask questions when you're on your ride alongs. There are some times that are better than others.

EMT class, by itself, is not enough. Paramedic school, by itself, is not enough. A wide educational foundation, consisting of a variety of college level coursework, while unfortunately not mandatory is certainly hugely beneficial to longevity in this career field. There are multiple threads on this site that discuss educational coursework relevant to EMS.

Don't let this become your life. Balance is important. Yes, it can be fun especially when you're young. But balance is more important than you realize.

Don't ever stop learning. Ever.

• Like 1

Welcome.Read and study the book.Pay attention in class.Pay attention on your ride alongs.Learn when it's appropriate to ask questions when you're on your ride alongs. There are some times that are better than others.EMT class, by itself, is not enough. Paramedic school, by itself, is not enough. A wide educational foundation, consisting of a variety of college level coursework, while unfortunately not mandatory is certainly hugely beneficial to longevity in this career field. There are multiple threads on this site that discuss educational coursework relevant to EMS.Don't let this become your life. Balance is important. Yes, it can be fun especially when you're young. But balance is more important than you realize.Don't ever stop learning. Ever.

This ^^^

do it while you are young, the possibilities are endless. You can get your paramedic, you can maybe get flight.. move up and up...

I'm in my 30s , I'm a basic, I will eventually get my medic, I just have a lot going on, the desire to learn is there and I crave it, just have a lot going on with love and an Ill child.

YOU are young, motivated and I can't wait to watch you grow with this!

Hey y'all I'm Brittany and I just recently graduated from high school and I am going to start EMT basic classes in January! I've struggled a little with figuring out what I wanted to become and eventually realized that my heart always knew what my head didn't and that is to become a EMT paramedic! I am more excited about starting classes and becoming an EMT and then eventually a paramedic than I have been about anything in my life, every day that's goes by I get more butterflies in my stomach and I was just wondering if y'all have any advice for me about EMT basic classes??

Hi Brittany, I'm in the same boat as you except I'm a bit older. 32 and after living a fast full life I've decided to attend EMT school in January here in TN. My plan is to get on with the fire dept after school. I need to carry on my dad's legacy as a 27 year veteran of the Nashville Fire Dept. Good luck to ya!

Congrats! Welcome to the field.

Mike hit the nail on the head.

One thing I will add is don't be too hard on yourself during Basic class in the begining. You're new and don't have the muscle memory to get it right off the bat. Practice, practice, practice. You will get it eventually.

When you start doing your blood pressures practice on everyone and in all different settings. Start with dead quiet and progressively get to louder and more chaotic environments. Your friends and family will get sick of you taking their BP but later on your partner and patients will appreciate it.

Come here and ask questions. None are dumb or pointless. The wealth of knowlege and experience on this site is second to none and most are willing to help in any way we can. One thing I will warn you of we are brutally honest here. We don't sugar coat or coddle you for sake of making you feel good. We tell it like it is and will call you on a mistake. Don't take it the wrong way though, learn from it. The biggest thing I learned from this site is to own your mistakes. Learn from them and you will grow into a provider that will be the best you can be for your patients.

Again congrats and welcome to the ranks and the City.

Here is some advice:

EMT course is very compressed, a lot of stuff to learn in very little time.

I find that most students fail because they have not budgeted time for the course.

for every hour you spend in the class, budget 2 hours for studying and practical skills practice.

My class here was 110 hours.

including all the work outside, it became more like 300 hours.

another thing... do not cheat.

Cheating is ok if no one gets hurt, such as when you took Spanish 101 and had that little translation app open the whole time.

but in EMS, cheating hurts, patients will die and it will be your fault !

so keep it honest, when taking multiple choice exams, be aware of the questions you are not sure about, and review them thoroughly afterwards.

another thing... do not cheat.

Cheating is ok if no one gets hurt, such as when you took Spanish 101 and had that little translation app open the whole time.

but in EMS, cheating hurts, patients will die and it will be your fault !

so keep it honest, when taking multiple choice exams, be aware of the questions you are not sure about, and review them thoroughly afterwards.

Wow, what a statement. It's ok to cheat but only if someones life doesn't hang in the balance. Your value system is skewed.

Don't you have a education code that says NO CHEATING at any time? Or only when it's convenient for you?

Just stop with this useless information.

• 4 months later...

Hey! I'm in the same boat with you, about to graduate, and hoping to start EMT Paramedic classes!

Just wanted to ask, do you expect any difficulty in classes or in being hired because of your young age? Because I'd be only 18 as I was starting classes, I've heard it would be very difficult to find actual employment as an EMT until you are around 21.

If you have any info or thoughts on starting young, let me know!