Hello from Austin Texas!

rehablady

Thank you for the chance to make new friendships here! July 29th, 2013 12:14 AM

I am Sherry Lassiter, Director of the Volunteer Mobile Emergency Response Unit. I founded the unit in 2005 to promote the well being of emergency responders in Central Texas. Area agencies with limited resources can request our support for hydration, snacks and medical monitoring for cardiac stress at long-duration incidents. We provide outreach about emergency-scene rehab and other topics on Facebook at www.facebook.com/pages/Volunteer-Mobile-Emergency-Response-Unit/196464843721486 and at our web site at www.rehabsector.org .

Best Regards,

Sherry "Cheryl" Lassiter

Same words, different meanings. You say "Mobile Emergency Response Unit", and I thought "Major Incident Response Vehicle", MIRV for short, of which the FDNY EMS Command has one for each of the five counties comprising New York City. They're kind of Emergency Rooms on wheels, able to take active care of up to 6 patients at a time, with no discrimination between responders and civilians for that care.

On reading further, I then determined you're director of what I know as a "Third Alarm Response" unit, doing true scene rehabilitation of and for responders. We just have coffee, tea and lemonade from the Red Cross or Salvation Army vans, or FDNY "RAC" units (I don't know what the initials stand for).

One of these days, FDNY will, hopefully, activate a field rehab unit, operating much as you've described.

A final thought: WELCOME to the City!

• Like 1

I want to thank you all for the kind words and for making me feel like I belong here! I want to say Richard, that the reason I came up with the name "Volunteer Mobile Emergency Response Unit" , is so that responding Emergency Workers would not become confused with why we were on scene. I started "VMERU" , as a way to help ALL emergency workers who do not have Emergency Scene Rehab in their Communities therefore reducing the death rate among Responding Agency Personnel on large scale incidents that last more than 4 hours! The volunteers in our Emergency Rehab Unit are taught, AHA CPR,Healthcare Provider First Aid, FEMA Instructor led classes such as 100,200,700 and 800, emergency scene safety, must pass ncic background checks, ride outs with EMS Law Enforcement and are on probation for 6 months before we allow them to respond alone.I run a very tight ship that go by the NFPA 1584 REHAB Standards, that ALL Departments are supposed to have incorporated into their standards of care for Emergency Personnel while on scene of long incidents or disasters.Not all departments are compliant and that is where we try to advocate for you, the Emergency medical Responders,Firefighters,Law Enforcement Officers and any volunteer who is cleared to work on scene with the ICS or OEM. We are YOUR advocates for a safer workplace! As far as Red Cross is concerned Richard, they are moving more towards helping with CASHP,feeding survivors of incidents and disasters,donation drives for families who are homeless after fires and some help to rural areas where Red Cross is not located.Our job is to feed you the RIGHT foods (the good stuff) , provide cool not cold drinks such as water and gatorade that is properly balanced with water, cool places to rest, shading,lights and generator for cell phone charging ICS use and lighting the areas where we are staged! I have made sure that we have an RV so that there is a bathroom,room to lay down if you are up for time out to rest,TV for news and updates on what disaster information may be useful to you and we monitor all of you for signs of cardiac stress and dehydration and any injuries! We train constantly ,used by 911 on many calls and are even on IMDB under my name, Set Medic is the term they use,I try to tell them the term is called band aid patrol /first aid tent in the movies! If we need an EMT,Paramedic,EMT-I ,we hire one depending on the stunts! We have a few BIG named stars we have worked for under our Emergency Response Unit,and if anyone is interested in being in the movies with credits, I can sure use the help. Please visit IMDb.com , look for my name Sherry Lassiter or use my name in the search box and my last movie called "Natural Selection". Also I invite all of you to join our Emergency unit so that you can get LODD news,Forestry news,Fire news,EMS and First Responder News by RSS feeds from all over the country. We would love to share what we find, with you! You may email me at www.rehabsector.org if you are interested in the movies or learning more about who we are by visiting www.rehabsector.org or our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Volunteer-Mobile-Emergency-Response-Unit/196464843721486?notif_t=page_new_likes . I work hard to advocate for all of you and I love the results and the changes that have happened because I was able to show a Fire Department a better way of providing top of the line REHAB CARE to you,our true heroes!

I apologize for the rambling on! I am actually working on a large wildfire in Smithville Texas. I am tired too,after three days of overseeing the VMERU donation reception center. ( :mobile: lol ) I broke a rule I see,I will correct my 5th grade writing to MD writing lol !

Edited by rehablady

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.