Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

FDNY EMS transporting Dead People ?

Posted · Report post

Saw in a movie, FDNY EMT taking a dead woman from a scene. Like, totally dead.

Is that realistic ?

Some people say, FDNY EMT do sometimes take away the dead, in certain situations...

when is it the job of EMTs to do so ? and when is it not the job of the EMTs to do so?

and does it happen often ?

Posted · Report post

well if not FDNY, does your agency have any kind of "transport the dead" protocols ?

Posted · Report post

Is that realistic ?

Some people say, FDNY EMT do sometimes take away the dead, in certain situations...

when is it the job of EMTs to do so ? and when is it not the job of the EMTs to do so?

and does it happen often ?

What do you think? and see the plethora of other threads currently on this topic.

Posted · Report post

Policy used to be a dead person was transported if in public view, not transported if in, say, a private residence outside of any public view. I am uncertain if the policy remains as such.

Remember one "transport" going directly to the Queens County, NYC NY, morgue. Deceased female allegedly asked someone in walkup apartment building stairwell to lower the volume on the boom box, the denial of request being a fatal GSW. Another crew "pronounced", and went available status, When the CSIs released the scene, my unit was assigned. My partner and I used the "Scoop" to get her off the stairs, and onto the stretcher, which had a body bag pre-positioned by us on it.

Policy had it so, transport of a DOA was the only call where the tech riding "shotgun" didn't have to ride in the back with the "patient", but my partner on that call, a strange person who openly stated he was using FDNY EMS as a stepping stone to being a fire fighter (also claimed to be a Fire Chief's son), decided to ride in the back. While he was within his rights to do so, everyone at my station used it as yet another reason to dislike the guy.

Posted · Report post

maybe ha was a necrophiliac. :confused:

Posted (edited) · Report post

What do you think? and see the plethora of other threads currently on this topic.

I'm sorry, but I tried searching for posts on this subject, I didn't happen to find any. I used keywords "FDNY transport dead" and similar other searches... If you would be so kind, could you please show me the link to a couple of those threads ? Im sure it would be good reading.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Richard B: thanks for the story.

Edited by miscusi

Posted · Report post

Just mentioning this person as a sloppy EMT. Delayed on scene (live patients, here), we're supposed to take another set of vitals every set number of minutes. As senior tech (unofficial title, just I'd already been an EMT longer than he's been breathing) on my ambulance, requested, then ordered him to run and document a new set, and he outright refused me.
Another time, outside an ER, caught him deliberately trying to harass an EDP patient (no NYPD with the crew) into swinging on him. I ran and got hospital security to step in.

Still have no idea how he made Fire Fighter. MUST have been legacy of being in a department family, Least he won't be handling patients.

Posted · Report post

Sometimes private EMS companies will transport dead/sick prisoners, but you rarely see that in state EMS. . .

Posted · Report post

Is that realistic ?

Only if someone slammed their hand on the back doors after they were closed to signal the ambulance driver that he was good to go, then they drove away with lights and sirens.

Posted · Report post

Since there is a lack of threads to search on this topic, i'll add that here in Canada there are circumstances where EMS may assist in transport of a short duration. I'll give a few examples of when I have done it:

Pt codes in the ambulance and is pronounced in the unit.

Funeral attendant/Coroner is going to be delayed

Particularly 'messy' patient

We would never deplete a community of it's only ambulance for something like this, but usually the funeral home comes with a minivan and 1 person to recover the body. Fire could be called to assist, but most are volley services in the rural setting, so we will step up and help out as long as the transport is short.

For the record: I know New York is not in Canada ;)

Posted · Report post

I am the body removal in our community. In rural and remote communities there is no other way. I will say this, I have had a few great conversations with the dead. Here for the sake of the family I will sit in the back with the body and take them to the morgue. It seems a bit creepy but I have to say it makes the family feel better and in a way it makes me feel better that one very small gesture helps the family.

Posted · Report post

I am the body removal in our community. In rural and remote communities there is no other way. I will say this, I have had a few great conversations with the dead. Here for the sake of the family I will sit in the back with the body and take them to the morgue. It seems a bit creepy but I have to say it makes the family feel better and in a way it makes me feel better that one very small gesture helps the family.

Family comfort that someone is with the recently departed? I'd go with that concept.

Posted · Report post

We are an extremely rural service, and although it is not a regular event, we will transport bodies to the hospital morgue if requested to by the police. In most cases there is an investigation that must be completed before the body can be removed, and we will certainly not wait around for that, nor will we return for body removal. I can think of only two instances in the past three years where we did this.

I don't imagine it would be a regular thing in a large centre. For us the nearest coroner or funeral home is 150 kms away, a far cry from a city situation.

Posted · Report post

I remember those rural days when the only appropriate body removal vehicle was the local ambulance. It was a unique experience that truly harkened back to the origins of EMS in BC. I always felt it was an honor for a patient's family to entrust us with this final act.

Posted · Report post

I got into EMS in our service area on the taiil end of the transport the dead in the ambulance to the local funeral home. The funeral homes eventually figured out that they could make more money (added fee) when they transported the body themselves.

I can remember being called to the local funeral home to help them move a rather large body because just one embalmer couldn't do it. Never forget the smell.

I have friends who still work for services that transport the dead and they hate it, with them being the only ambulance in a 300 square mile radius, when they are transporting a dead person they are out of service and in my humble opinion, it really isn't the ambulances job to transport the dead body to the funeral home but thats just my opinion.

Posted · Report post

We aren't allowed to transport dead people, unless they die en route to the hospital and that is rare on a BLS rig. It does happen occasionally though because we have contracts with the numerous air ambulances that serve the region. Very possible one of their patients will die in our rig, but we also transport the flight crew with us.

We do, however, get called to babysit dead bodies on occasion. There are only 7 medic units serving the city of almost 700,000. When someone dies either in public view or in the medic unit on scene we will respond and place the body into our rig until the ME gets on scene. Prior to this the ME must be notified and permission obtained before moving the body.

I doubt FDNY is in the business of transporting dead bodies, though if it was one of their own I could see them transporting to the ME. When a cop or firefighter goes down Medic One will transport to the ME's office.