Hi all. New and need some advice.

So I am one of those lucky EMT students who won the genetic lottery and gained anxiety before I even stepped foot in a classroom.

I suffer from OCD and at least one more general anxiety disorder. While EMS is my dream and has been for some time, my anxiety naturally has me second guessing my decision to persue this as a career.

Let me be clear on this: I'm not the guy that will have a panic attack mid call and be unable to do his job. That's not how my disorder works. For me it's more like silly worries about insignificant things that I blow way out of proportion and spend insane amounts of time thinking about. It can be rational or irrational, and it's hard for me to tell the two apart. Medication has been tremendously helpful, but it can only take me so far.

I understand the EMS carries with it significant stress. I'm just worried about the impact that this accumulated stress will have on me. Can anyone relate? Please tell me someone can.

Welcome to the club.

I have anxiety myself, unrelated to anything ems, more personal.Mine came and went and rarely rears its head. However if you find yourself stressing about work related incidents you may want help with it.

Lets face it. The world today gives us a lot of reasons to be anxious. Life isn't easy.

If it interferes with work, affects your treatments, I would reconsider this as your career.

I take medication. I used to do therapy as well but haven't done that in awhile. It's something I'll look into again for sure, if I can afford it. But it manifests itself as a near constant worry about something. When I stop worrying about one thing, I immediately jump to another. I have to keep reassuring myself over and over again.

And as far as it being an occupational issue, I don't really see it being that way. My biggest concern is the accumulated stress of EMS mixing in with my anxiety/OCD. I'm worrying about it as we speak.

Have you tried other meds? Your story sounds very familiar to me however mine is controlled and actually quite a while since its been here.

Exercise, talking about it, yes, medication in the past helped.

You have time to get it more controlled, but I wouldn't set foot on an ambulance until it is.

Hi Seth,

Welcome to the City.

Unfortunately, your question is pretty broad and (unintentionally, I'm sure) vague in that while you're describing some of your symptoms to us it's hard for us to really grasp the extent to which your symptoms affect you. This leaves us in the position where it is probably best for us to answer conservatively.

EMS offers an awful lot about which to worry. It is an inescapable part of our job. Going only on what you've posted so far I would suggest that while it's possible to continue with your training you probably want to gain better control over your symptoms before moving into the field. If this means continuing your meds and getting back in to therapy then that might be what you have to do. It may mean, as MariB suggested, changing meds. This is all dependent on your conversations with your health care and mental health care providers.

That you are aware and concerned enough to ask questions like this is definitely a bonus point in your favour. Being aware of your limitations is a trait needed in this industry. Once you reach the point where your symptoms are under control and you are able to feel like you're functioning without the symptoms you're describing (or with your symptoms under control) then by all means take that leap into the back of the ambulance. Until then, though, it might be best to wait.

In the mean time, stick around here. Ask questions. Get involved in some of the discussions. We can help offer a view of what life in the field is like. We can help offer you insight about things that we see and deal with. We can also help keep you and your mind engaged in the EMS mindset so that when you're ready to make your move you've at least been thinking about the job and won't be coming into things cold.

Yes I believe my medication has "pooped out." It happens with SSRIs pretty much inevitably. I'll speak to my doctor asap.

Thank you paramedicmike. I believe I have been a bit vague. I'll try to describe to you my symptoms as best and in depth as possible.

I have what is called "pure O" OCD, or purely obsessional. My compulsions present themselves as obsessions. I find something to worry about, whether it's my weight, how messy my room is, school, work, health, anything really, and I'll find something wrong. Then I obsess about said thing for the better part of the entire day. I constantly reassure myself that everything is fine, only to find it creep back into my head again. So it's like a never ending mental quest to cope with my constant worrying. If and when I do find total assurance, I immediately jump to something else and begin the whole process all over again. It literally is never ending in the absence of medicinal intervention. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it.

As I mentioned above, I believe that the meds I'm on have lost their effectiveness. I've been on Lexapro about 5 years, and lately it just isn't the miracle drug it once was. I'm going to talk to my doc. My EMT class starts in 2 months, so I have some time.

Thank you for the advice. I've taken this class before and I know a bit about EMS. It's something that really gets me amped. I'm very devoted to this idea, and I want to be in the best mental state that I can for it.

Lexapro works wonders for some, but the 10 mg doesn't always cut it. I know some on 30.

It won't work for everyone as Zoloft or pamalor doesn't work for everyone. It may benefit you to see a good psychiatrist and experiment with other medications.

Some people do great on medication alone. Some with therapy alone and some with a combination of both.

I think anxiety affects a lot of people and shouldn't get in the way of your dreams, but should be under control for your own sake. You don't want to start obsessing about your work on top of the stresses of ems. Did you do this right? Could you have done this better? I think it could get in the way of your confidence.

You have time to get it under control.

Thank you! You've been awesome. But yea, obsessing about work is one of the things I can imagine happening, like if a patient's condition goes rapidly downhill, and things end unfavorably, I could see myself obsessing tremendously after the fact.

I'm on 20mg, which in the past has been so effective that at times I forgot I had OCD. It's time to find another one.

I won't let it get in the way. I'll take care of it, one way or another.

Had a partner with OCD once years ago. She would clean the bus like no tomorrow. Then she got some med changes and developed a coping mechanism.

She chewed black licorice as a trigger to calm her mind. Think it was a suggestive thought given to her by her DR.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.