need the lowdown on this.......NREMT "thing".

EMT613

If you had actually read the replies made by seasoned EMS providers, many of which are instructors or have been instructors, you would have known NREMT is required by states to get certification.

I have no experience with a state that does not have their own state exam, but uses the NREMT exam as their state recognized licensing exam. but I am not challenging that because it sounds perfectly realistic. I live in a state that has a state exam, and NREMT is not recognized as the licensing exam, and it does nothing for a person here trying to be certified/licensed for the first time ever.

I didn't get anywhere at all where the OP stated he lived in a state that didn't require the NREMT.

YOU live in one of 4 that do not use it to certify a new EMT. He is just confused about it is all.

You are right, he did not specifically state where he lived. I am very good at feeling things out, I got that he lived in a state that has its own state test because of what he said. You may re-read his post to see the clues.

I looked at his previous posts, and indeed I was right ! I WAS RIGHT ! the OP lives in NC. NC is a state that has its own state exam, it is 100 questions, and they DO NOT TAKE the NREMT exam to certify a first time EMT.

So again my statement is TRUE.

It is worthless if he does not plan to move, and actually moves to or works in, a state that takes NREMT for reciprocity.

for HIM, it is worth NOTHING !

for ME it is worth NOTHING !

any questions, please feel free to call NC's EMS at 919 855 3956 and ask for ALESIA HESTER.

• 3 weeks later...

I took both the EMT-B and the EMT-P versions, although the EMT-B was 11 years ago. For me the biggest difference in taking the NREMT is the way they word their questions. Barons publishes a test prep book that contains five practice tests. Very extensive, one test is in the book, four more are on a CD-Rom. It helps you see the way they ask questions and the answers are comprehensive and explain how they arrived at their conclusion. I believe it is very helpful. I purchased mine on Amazon for 15.00. good Luck!

I practice in Missouri and I was required to have the NREMT test for both EMT-Basic and Paramedic. Once I had my state license (and it says license right on it!), I could let the NREMT certification go. Now, I really think I should have maintained my national registry because if I choose to be an instructor, which I am seriously concidering, I will need to have it. I am now having to jump through hoops to get it back. My fault for letting it go. And if I plan on working in another state, I should have it to forego the state requirements, depending on the state.

I found the conversation here very enlightening. As I mentally kick myself, I plan on re-certifying and maintaining that "worthless" certification. I by no means mean anything hostile of belittling to anyone here. For me, I believe it's not "worthless."

• 2 months later...

In South Carolina an NREMT is the test you take for All Cert levels there is no longer a "state" test AND you must maintain BOTH your state and NREMT certification and have them both on your person anytime you are working.

SC will allow you to get reciprocity using your out of state certification and give you a temporary SC cert. but you will have to get NREMT cert before a permanent SC certification will be issued

So with out NREMT you are nothing in SC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.