In need of some EMS family advice.

My questions about Paramedic-RN bridge programs are this: 1) What degree do they have? 2) What is their ability then to go on to a BSN program? I don't know of many hospitals who will hire RN's these days. Yes they are out there, but a lot of hospitals will always have BSN preferred under qualifications.

I'm on the fence about bridge programs between two different disciplines such as Paramedic and Nursing. I personally started from scratch and I am happy that I did. I re-took chemistry, microbiology, statistics, a much much more in-depth A&P program than medic school. I feel like my understanding of pathologies and pharmacology is better now than it was when I finished medic school. That is more of a reflection of the program I chose to do for medic school though than anything else.

Just to clarify, a BSN and an ADN are both Registered Nurses (RN) after they pass the NCLEX. RN does not mean ADN, it means RN and is a separate concept from the degree. I do not want people thinking differently as can be inferred from above.

Just to clarify, a BSN and an ADN are both Registered Nurses (RN) after they pass the NCLEX. RN does not mean ADN, it means RN and is a separate concept from the degree. I do not want people thinking differently as can be inferred from above.

Oh Chris, stop being so "formal" ha ha ha but I get your drift on this one.

The last thing I want is yet another rumour about the BSN/ADN argument. A registered nurse is just that. When you graduate your initial nursing educational programme you take the NCLEX-RN, not the NCLEX-BSN if you have a BSN and the RN if you have an ADN/AAS. It is true that many hospitals are pushing for BSN due to magnet credentials among many other things. However, I do not want somebody who doesn't know better to confuse RN and BSN.

My wife retired from teaching and went back to school for her ADN, got hired & has worked for 7 years as an RN in a 250 bed regional hospital.

She then completed her BSN curriculum as the hospitals here are pushing it for promotion and pay raises. She has also become certified in Chemotherapy & hospice care. The hospitals are looking for more than the basic RN today. They didn't care that she previously had an AAS, B ed & M ed before going to nursing school.

They are not hiring many new ADN RN's today, as preference is given to BSN degreed RN's.

Yes it is part magnet status and part looking good for Jacho.

It's all about making the administration look good and allows them to fill in the check boxes on their scoresheets.

We must be lagging here in regards to this new mandatory BSN stuff because jobs for ADN's are still a plenty around here. Although I did hear that it would be harder to advance without a BSN now.

We must be lagging here in regards to this new mandatory BSN stuff because jobs for ADN's are still a plenty around here. Although I did hear that it would be harder to advance without a BSN now.

I think that's the core root there Biebs, Many jobs for ADN's are available but to advance in the field you need a BSN.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding? One of the bigger problems EMS has is the IAFF.

Can you give me real life experience that the IAFF has hurt EMS? Let me guess they are dumbing down the standards etc etc.....guess what, there will always be loads on this job, union or not. Hell they have 6 month fly by month medic schools. It's a joke...

I am represented by the IAFF as a single role medic and get paid an admirable wage with the benefits we all deserve.

In this area, non unionized EMS makes minimum wage. How's not organizing working out for all those guys? I guess the IAFF is evil for helping negotiate respectable wages.

In regards to the RN comments---My wife is an BSN in an ER at a very prestigious hospital and I make more then she does. If more people embraced the union/organization of EMS (whatever union IAFF or whatever) maybe people would have a fighting chance at earning a respectable wage...

10 bucks an hour to run 911? That's a joke.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.