Deaf EMT on ambulance...

emt2359

Congratulations and hang in there Chad!!

If he's just providing a supine taxi service, then I guess there is no problem.

If he is doing real emergency work, then my thoughts on it would depend on what it means that he can "hear some" with hearing aids. As nice as it sounds for this guy to have a paying job as an EMT, if he can't perform the key functions required for it then he shouldn't be doing it. I am all for being inclusive and accommodating when possible, but a patient should never receive compromised care because of it.

I had a hard time with this comment:

“I would be responding to a shooting and not know,” he said.

Routine transports are one thing. Emergency responses are something else. In any situation this is transferring an awful lot of responsibility from this provider to his partners and coworkers in terms of being aware of what's going on around him/them. I have no doubt his patient interaction skills are quite good. Unfortunately, this job isn't limited to good patient interactions.

In the end, if his volunteer squads and employers are satisfied with his performance then they're the ones who say whether or not he can stay.

My Volunteer Ambulance Corps had, for a short while, a blind dispatcher. He'd print out in braille, and on the crew's return, we'd transcribe. He decided it wasn't working out and left.

Our canine mascot didn't like his service dog, as the dog was in the mascot's territory, and that service animal kept passing wind!

No. This is stupid. Can we not be PC and not overlook the glaring issues?

Would you want to run 911 with this guy...who can't hear your orders....can't hear horns honking? Who can't hear the bum charging while yer picking up his buddy in the alley?

Come on....FD's around here have medical clearance and hearing/vision tests are included.

I got nothing against deaf people but this is just DUMB

(pun intended)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.