To This Day

Bieber

"Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never harm me".

Simple words, yet the biggest lie ever perpetrated on children, from kindergarten through 12th grade. I honestly don't know how I survived.

Some crawl into their shells. Others hurt themselves, believing the lies their classmates throw at them, again and again, as to how stupid or ugly they are, even when they may, in some topics, actually be smarter, with these classmates trying to drag them down.

Sometimes the "advice" is totally wrong. "Beat up one of the crew that messes with you". Nope, they have friends who will beat on you, either in the lunchroom or after school, plus, I never learned how to fight. Also, I was the kid who not only got beaten up to a pulp, but I was the one suspended for fighting. Mom drove me, one time, to the house of one kid who beat me up, but he had one of those mothers who stared down mom and me, stating, "My Lester would NEVER do anything like that!" (Sidenote: When Lester announced in class that he was moving out of the community, the other students applauded.)

Unfortunately, things like this can, and will, result in another Columbine shooting incident.

A few, as adults, get a satisfactory revenge. The "jocks" who picked on the "nerds" now pay them for their services as accountants or computer repair personnel. I had something to prove to both the world and myself, and I became an EMT. Then as now, I may not be the best EMT in the world, but I am competent in what I do.

• Like 1

The "jocks" who picked on the "nerds" now pay them for their services as accountants or computer repair personnel

And if those nerds remember those jocks, heaven help those jocks. Those nerds can get their revenge and the jocks will never realize what those nerds did to them. Sort of divine justice.

Those nerds can get their revenge and the jocks will never realize what those nerds did to them. Sort of divine justice.

Not really. If it became known a nerd was causing damage to someone who "damaged" them in the past, they could lose customers not involved with the past time Jock. I may be doing an incomplete or inaccurate quote, but sometimes just living well is the best revenge.

Other than that, go Klingon:

Revenge is a dish best served up cold!

Not really. If it became known a nerd was causing damage to someone who "damaged" them in the past, they could lose customers not involved with the past time Jock. I may be doing an incomplete or inaccurate quote, but sometimes just living well is the best revenge.

Other than that, go Klingon:

I disagree Richard. If the Jocks never find out then how will the customers of the Nerds find out?

You remember that guy I used to torment mercilessly, runs the private computer I T firm downtown now? I heard he was the best, but he never seems able to fix any of my computers. You don't think he's playing me, do you? Wait...Charlie also used to beat him up for his lunch money, and his computers never seem to work, either. Hey, didn't Joe's company get hacked? Didn't he use that guy's service?

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

A sad part of this is that in some parts of the world (Here) there are teachers that not only turn a blind eye to the bullying, but perpetuate it by joining in and 'making examples' of the ones who are being bullied, or single them out in front of classmates... I pray daily that my son will make it thru this year and never have a teacher like he does now. She has called him a cry baby, a 3 yr old, and spoiled in front of his entire class when he was struck in the head by a snow chunk with ice in it that left a significant hematoma for days..but she has 'tenure' and will be there until the day she seizes up and dies at her desk...god help me if I am ever called to her emergency...