Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Midwest blizzard/winter storm

Posted · Report post

To all my EMS Friends in the midwest. There's a storm a coming and they say that it's bound to be a bad one.

In the KC MO area and parts surrounding they say it might be the worst this year or even in the past two or three years.

It should start tomorrow night and not end till Friday if I heard the weather right.

So buckle down and get your supplies laid in and if you live in an area where the powerlines are NOT buried and are above ground but under the trees, a good plan would be to get lots of blankets and also stock up on firewood for your fireplace.

Make sure you have your phones charged as well.

Good luck and God speed.

If you are working the next three or four days, keep lots of pocket warmers and wear extra layers of clothing and make sure you keep warm.

Drive safe and slow, remember, it's their emergency NOT yours. Don't make it yours too.

Posted · Report post

Thank You. I am on call to drive Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was told to call the city for a plow if needed to lead the way. One hour we are told 6-8 inches, the next it is 12-14 inches. Now it is 8-10 . I don't believe they know quite yet. I do know the winds will be strong so even 6 could be bad.

Everyone stay safe!

Posted · Report post

We went to the store and got groceries on Sunday. Have the 5 gal buckets ready to fill and set in the tub. Got my moms coffee pot ready (old fashioned on the stove perculator). Propane bottles in the ready to use on the propane heater we have. Have 8 gallons of bottled water for drinking and cooking if needed. We have the tractors ready with the blades on them. We are good to go. Now if only people will stay off Interstate 29, if not at least drive according to what conditions dictate. A few years ago when we had the blizzards right after another and sheer ice on the interstate, we had people sliding every which way and getting cars buried in snow drifts. They did not understand why they were getting tickets for speeding when they were going 70 and that was the speed limit. Needless to say there were a lot of unhappy motorist with cars that were left because of a no tow order and tickets to boot. We are to get somewhere between 8 and 11 inches or more. Just have to wait and see, got my gear ready in case we do have to go out. Everyone else stay safe and warm.

Posted · Report post

Ok cookie. Im not far from 29 lol. We have to be close. I can hit NE, MN, SD all in less than an hour.

Posted · Report post

Where in Iowa are you MariB? I am in Fremont County.

Posted · Report post

O'Brien County

Posted · Report post

The updated forecast is for KC and surrounding areas is 6-20 inches of snow all the way to the Iowa border with mininal ice.

I just got 4 bundles of wood, got a 20 pound bag of ice melt, a new snow shovel, a bunch of food supplies and we are ready for a long winters nap.

Posted · Report post

Ruff you and your family stay safe. Between what they forecast and what we actually get is a tossup.

MariB, know where O'Brien is, next door to Sioux and one county below the Iowa Border. I don't know how much snow you folks will get. From the looks of things we are getting slammed from the south.

Posted · Report post

It changes by the hour. Right now its between 8 to 10 I believe.

Posted · Report post

Yep I just heard it was 12 inches for the Raymore area.

Posted · Report post

Thats hardly worth getting the snowblower out of the shed for. :-}

Up here we call that just a dusting

Posted · Report post

Yeah, down here we call it a frantic search for the meaning of life. I call it a time to go sledding with my son when everyone else goes out and drives like a bunch of freaking idiots.

Posted · Report post

We already have 4" of snow here in east Denver, took me 2 hours to drive what's normally a 20 minute drive home from the hospital. Really not looking forward to my drive in tomorrow at 5am :(

Posted · Report post

I have to work tomorrow morning and I am bringing a small bag with extra clothes, snacks, etc just in case. If my replacement does not show up then I can not leave so it may turn into a long day.

Posted · Report post

Looks like it's hitting here as well

2013-02-20200652_zps7c3402a5.jpg

Posted · Report post

We've gotten a bunch of snow so far, though we're gearing up for round two here this morning. I don't go back to work till Friday, really hoping they've got the streets all cleared out by then.

Posted · Report post

Snow is not to start till noon or after. Schools across the board, in Iowa and Nebraska have cancelled classes, including colleges and major universities. So just as soon as the snow builds up the kids will be out with the innertubes and sleds sliding down hills in pastures.

Posted · Report post

Well from 7am to now we have 5 inches of snow in our yard. 8 inches of drifts.

I'd post pictures but you get the Drift, ha ha ha

My daughters can't wait to get out in it. My son is just being plain a moody pain in the ass because he realizes he gets to shovel this stuff with dad but not till I get done with work. Gotta make the money to pay the bills to keep the heat on.

Looks like the weather men were right.

Posted · Report post

I live in northern Kansas and we got around 6 inches. They closed all sorts of stuff ahead of the storm. We were expected to get 8-15 inches. Now it's supposed to snow again Sunday into Monday and they're forcasting the same.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, we're supposed to get 6-12" here... I'm loving this since we really need the water/moisture! Hopefully we'll have enough reserve for wildfire season.

Posted · Report post

just finished snowblowing the first 12 inches. Still snowing hard.

About 2 inches an hour through the rest of the night as far as the weather guessers are concerned.

That 5 weekends in a row with more than a foot.

Posted · Report post

We just had a little bit yesterday, most of the heavy snow went east and south east of us. Most of it melted when it hit till over night and about a half inch stuck to things. KC and Wichita, and Texas got hit hard.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, I just got back from The Devil's Taint, aka Huatulco Mexico.....did it snow while I was away?