Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MFR Bag

Posted · Report post

Hey guys. Im an MFR and I made a trauma bag. I tried not to go nutter with it (might be too late :D). Im not going out of my scope of practice. I used a $30 empty medical bag. I want to know what you think of it. I will proabably make a video in a week or so. Here we we go:

1 Box of 50 Nitrile Gloves

1 Sharps Container 1 Qt

1 Biohazard Bag

4 5x9 Trauma Dressings

20 4x4 Gauze Pads

3 2x2 Gauze Pads

3 3x3 Gauze Pads

1 10x30 Trauma Pad

2 Small Chemical Ice Packs

4 4" Roller Gauze

3 3" Roller Gauze

2 2" Rolls of Medical Tape

1 1" Roll of Medical Tape

1 4x4 Burn Dressing

1 Burn Sheet

1 Set of 6 OPAs (should I look into some NPAs?)

1 36" SAM Splint

1 16" SAM Splint

2 250 ML Bottles of Saline Solution

1 Plastic Bag containing roll of Plastic Wrap (Covering Burns, Sucking Chest Wound Ect.)

2 ACE Brand Elastic Bandages

OTC Meds (Aspirin, Ibuprofen, Non-Asprin, Electrolytes)

1 Stethoscope/BP Cuff

1 OB Kit

1 CPR Pocket Mask

1 Adult BVM (taking up a lot of space D: probably will remove it)

1 Adjustable C-Collar

1 Vitals Notebook

2 Emergency Blankets

1 Set of Medical Instruments (Trauma Shears, Bandage Scissors, Penlight, Seatbelt Cutter, Forceps)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Looks pretty good,

You might want to add a thermometer, sanitary napkins and tampons and tongue depressors.

You can remove about 30 gloves. You will only need them one pair at a time.

I don't know what MFR's are allowed to do.

You might want to check what meds you can give and take anything that are not authorized to give out of your bag.

Also make sure you can use OPA and NPS before you put them in someone.

Edited by DFIB

Posted · Report post

Doesn't your CERT team have any recommendations for you? You keep mentioning CERT but don't seem to be using any of those resources.

Posted · Report post

Doesn't your CERT team have any recommendations for you? You keep mentioning CERT but don't seem to be using any of those resources.

What is this CERT thing you speak of?

Posted · Report post

I'm guessing he means this. I had to look it up, too.

Posted · Report post

Community Emergency Response Team

Here's what I carry: Cell phone to dial 911... it does wonders.

Posted · Report post

C.E.R.T. Community Emergency Response Team. Yanno, Bush's version of Civil Defense.

Posted · Report post

you forgot a porter to tote all that stuff for you.

Add in enough potable water to keep yourself alive for several days. and a roll of TP cause you will have a need at some point.

You should also have a personal bug out bag with sleeping gear and change of clothes and personal necessities to sustain for a few days.

Cert teams are designed to assist/ augment local authorities in disaster management.

A tornado wipes out your town , you search for survivors. Then you search for and help remove the bodies or parts there of .

dubya invented them because he was using all of the state national guards to fight his multiple wars in the middle east.

Posted · Report post

Yeah Kat, I'm a medic at heart but my first priority these days is to make sure that my home has the means and ability to survive when the resources of my community are stretched thin to completely non-existent.

I have the medical kit complete with medications I can give which is whatever I deem necessary for my family - including all our prescription needs.

I have a full set of camping gear in case my house in destroyed, I can just put a tent up in the back yard, start the generator that is if I can find it in the rubble and it's not destroyed, and be able to be as self sufficient as I can.

I can also shelter in place if the neighborhood is damaged to the point where my house is livable but I can't get out of the neighborhood.

I have a plan with several neighbors on who does what in such a situation, we all have distinct skillsets that we bring to the table in a disaster and we can survive with what we have in our homes for at least a month if not longer. I have a freezer full of frozen food and 3 seed banks.

Plans are set in place. Not complete but in progress.

Posted · Report post

I am wondering, why the sharps container.

Is that something you deal with in your area or your scope?

Posted · Report post

@ Ruff. I have added things like ophthalmic antibiotics and steroids to the kit along with a suture kit. A couple of catches with extra firearms, fishing poles and knick knacks.

I also recently added a atlas and a manual with sketches of gadgets and devices I might want to build when the zombies are away. I started thinking how dependent we are on GPS so I added maps.

Ok, I can tell you right now you do not need the sharps container.

And you are not qualified to give any meds.

Get rid of the Otc meds. When will Tylenol or advil be appropriate for you to give?

Aspirin, maybe. Are you under any medical direction that allows you to do so?

Edited by MariB

Posted · Report post

im not giving meds. Im not under medical direction to DO SO. The "patient" will request it and ill "assist in its administration". Ill "advise" the "patient with chest pains" to take an aspirin

lets see Sharps Container

used epi pens

bloody glass shards

needles a paramedic used but his sharps container is in the truck

And you will open yourself up to a lawsuit for practicing medicine without a license.

The state WILL come down on you and hammer you for unlicensed practice. You will not be covered by good samaritan laws.

Edited by island emt

Posted · Report post

Yeah, even suggesting stuff like this is out of line. Used epi-pens should go with EMS to the hospital for disposal, you should not be handling shards of glass at a scene, and a paramedic never leaves their sharps container in the unit. Everywhere I have worked had a small one in the jump bag that goes with the paramedic everywhere.

What will you do with your sharps container once it is full?

I applaud your enthusiasm, really I do, but you are opening yourself up to a huge legal problem in the future. Go take EMT-B, volunteer at a station with medical command and protocols. I'm really not trying to discourage you and no one here is attacking you. We've all been in this profession for a very long time and know what we're talking about.

I really hope you reconsider carrying this bag around and instead leave it in your garage or in your house and hope no one ever notices it.

Posted · Report post

im not giving meds. Im not under medical direction to DO SO. The "patient" will request it and ill "assist in its administration". Ill "advise" the "patient with chest pains" to take an aspirin

lets see Sharps Container

used epi pens

bloody glass shards

needles a paramedic used but his sharps container is in the truck

Ok, patients can request from you all they want, but do you know the contraindications? Do you known that giving someone aspirin or advil when they need surgery, have a stroke, or an aneurysm is going to get you needing a lawyer?

Also you may not assist in medications without medical direction. It is AGAINST THE LAW.

Advising? Unfortunately, you are unsure what the contraindications are so please, please, do NOT advise..

Also. Paramedics and EMTs who have use any needles (we use epi pens and lancets.) Dispose of them on our own..

Id suggest getting rid of all the OTC meds, Sharps container . And half the gloves. Get rid of the biohazard bag as any clean up will not be done by you. It will save a lot of room.

Consider adding a blanket.

Also, an IV and tubing work great for flushing out an eye.

Posted · Report post

un

Hey guys. Im an MFR

Let's start at the beginning. You're an MFR, which I'm guessing is a Medical First Responder. Good start, but as you don't have any geographic area posted, as I'm in New York City, none of us can do anything but guess what your "Scope Of Practice" is. We're from many countries on this site, and in some countries, my status as an Emergency Medical Technician-Basic would translate to that of a First Responder. In other countries, a Paramedic might be on the same level as a Physician's Assistant in my home town.

I'm in agreement with most of the postings saying you don't need half of the gloves, unless your intent is to supply a bunch of First Responders at a scene (incidentally, I'll take a few XL gloves, please).

As an EMT-B in New York State, USA, I'm allowed to administer Oxygen, baby asprin, albuterol, and soon some pre-loaded autoinjector meds. My Paramedics have a longer list of medications and narcotics they can administer, both on standing orders, and after an OLMC (On Line Medical Control) authorization ("Mother/Father, may I...") I only know of a few Paramedics who carry their own drugs with them while off duty. I, myself, while I have a "kit" in my car, don't carry any meds, even asprin.

The cell phone to call 9-1-1, 9-9-9, 1-1-9, or whatever the emergency number to the Public Safety Answering Point, is always a good idea. Someone sees a person working a streetside call, they presume in error that the "system has been already activated, because someone's already on the scene". Even if you do stop to help, call it in first. Some (or at least myself) refer to this as "Elevator Button Syndrome", exemplified by a bunch of people waiting for the elevator, but all think someone else pushed the button when nobody has. With my ambulance, I've stumbled onto streetside calls, where everyone is asking me why I took so long to get there, yet there's no record of the call "in the system", until I put it over the radio as a flagdown.

As for carrying a "sharps container"? Prior to that, you might want to find where, when full, you are allowed to dispose of it. I know, as I have a gallon sized plastic milk bottle, full of injector pen mini-needles used for my personal medical administrations, and am not allowed to dispose of them at my Firehouse/EMS station, as the department pays by the pound for "Red Bag" disposal services.

Other than that, the bag seems to be well thought out.

I now make an often repeated request of you, Benasack2000. Please avoid acronyms and initials, as they might mean different things to different people., Spell it out, unless someone else on the string already has. One EMT of my acquaintance is also an accountant, and put up an ad for Electronic Data Processing, which she posted as "EDP Service". EDP also means Emotionally Disturbed Person, so you can imagine the laughter.

We prefer laughing WITH other EMT City dwellers, rather than AT.

WELCOME ABOARD EMT CITY!

Posted · Report post

Hey Richard check out the info on the OPA thread...

Posted · Report post

Thank you ADMIN

Posted · Report post

Hey Richard check out the info on the OPA thread...

could you be a bit more specific?

Posted · Report post

The OP was a 12 yo short little being from under a bridge with visions of grandeur!

Now he's been banned :-}