Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

EMS shows or movies

Posted · Report post

So, I admit I'm addicted to the OLD show Emergency! :punk: What are some other good EMS shows or movies?

Posted · Report post

Mother, Jugs & Speed

Posted · Report post

Bringing out the dead. Nicholas Cage.

Posted · Report post

I don't really think there are any, they are all over-dramatised slop

I don't like Emergency! even tho I watched a few episodes, MJ&S was quite funny independent of any medical theme, I watched the pilots of both Trauma and Chicago Fire and they are awful.

Third Watch was OK, there was not a great deal of complex medical information in that show and again, it was good because the story line was good, independent of any medical theme.

Posted · Report post

"M*A*S*H", in Germany they aired it without the canned laughter, which was a good decision.

I liked "Emergency!". A similar german show was "Notarztwagen 7" from the 1970ies, I really appreciate the old style settings (they even have an english wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notarztwagen_7, for the opening titles see youtube link at the end). Later german EMS shows from the 2000s were awful, couldn't watch more than one episode each.

"Third watch" was OK in the first one or two seasons, then it turned stupid. Same for "ER".

As a kid, "Firehouse" influenced our playing a lot. :)

Posted · Report post

It's entertainment Ben, cry a river build a bridge and get over it.

Posted · Report post

I will watch these and form an opinion :whistle: Thx for the input!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kiwi,

I didn't like Chicago very much in the beginning either, and still scream, "THAT NEVER HAPPENS" at it occassionally, but I have to admit my son liked it so we kept watching it and it seemed to 'realistically' get a tad bit better, but now it's got all the side show afternoon soap opera drama going on in it so I'm not so sure again....

Kat,

Bringing out the Dead tho...I've never sat and watched the whole thing but co-workers thru the years have had it on during shifts and I've seen parts of it...some parts I thought were hilarious and others...well...wasn't impressed. I keep saying one of these days I will sit down and watch the whole thing~~

I have that affliction where I can't sit for long periods of time and watch a television screen tho so most movies are beyond me...can't remember what they called it again but I think the initials started with EMS.... :)

Edited by ClutzyEMT

Posted · Report post

Paramedicos is series in spanish that was produced in Mexico to promote the Red Cross.

Posted · Report post

Skid Marks

Posted · Report post

Skid Marks

That is a movie?

Posted · Report post

Bringing Out The Dead is awesome. As far as tv shows Rescue Me

Posted · Report post

I was a big fan of Third Watch when I was younger... I also enjoyed Rescue Me quite a bit.

Posted · Report post

"Emergency!", which aired in the early 1970s, is a reason many became EMTs, Paramedics, and Fire Fighters back then, as "Adam 12" led numerous people to become Law Enforcement Officers, in the same era.

Me? I give recommendations as what EMS/FD related shows NOT to watch, most of which are off the air, anyway.

"240 Robert": Followed the doings of an L A area Sheriffs Rescue group, with the nice touch of having the helo pilot being a woman, a rarity in those mid 1970s days. First episode, they use a winch on the front of their Jeep to pull the door off a wrecked car, grab the woman out, throw her down onto a long spine board, THEN start immobilization. They also slipped a stethoscope down the generously endowed woman's shirt, in a fashion that seemed to me more copping a feel than medical necessity.

"Trauma Center": As strongman Lou Ferrigno was one of the Paramedics, they never needed a "Jaws Of Life", as he'd just rip the car apart with his bare hands.

"Rescue 77": In a tunnel partially full of water, a Fire Fighter/Paramedic defibrillates a patient by doing a handstand on top of the patient, with the paddles as he fires the shock.

"Trauma": Start with a Paramedic put back to work on a Medivac helicopter, on the one year anniversary of him being the only survivor of another Medivac helo crash. Make him a womanizer, but the only woman he can't entice is the lady pilot he's now assigned with. He also calls On Line Medical Control to advise them he's already done the procedure he was supposed to get authorization for, and arguing constantly with the OLMC doctor. This Paramedic and pilot also land their helo on rooftops and streets, with no security against someone walking into the blades, or leaving the aircraft unsecured against being stolen (not only stolen, but by a double leg amputee without prosthetics!).

We won't get into stable calls that, instead of going by the 3 land ambulances, were transported by the helicopter, and the fact that San Francisco, the city where the show takes place, doesn't even have helicopters in use by the Fire Department.