Midterm!

MariB

Well, we got our midterm grades, evaluations and recommendations. Now all that will be send to the Medical Director in charge of our program.

Our program is offered as a college credit class so I do get six credits twords furthering my education, Woot! However, it does mean it became a 9 month class with 150 hours of lecture, plus hands on then added days for testing. I think it figures out to about 240 hours or so.

Anyway, I have a 91% an A. The class average is an 82%. I was told I have the highest average.

The head of the department came to speak to me today at work about continuing on to paramedic. I told him I would like to if I can get my squad to pay for it. They would need financial backing from the city and my director has concerns about that since they have been burned before.

He told me it would be a waste if I don't. He is a big wig at the college.

Ok, enough bragging, but I was excited and knew you all would understand that excitement!

• Like 1

Excellent work Mari:

Make an appointment to talk with the schools financial aid office and find out if there is a scholarship you can get for the Paramedicine program.

Often times there are ways of getting assistance in paying for the program costs or at least covering part of it. If you can get that then the squad would have to pick up a smaller portion of the cost. We do that here in exchange for a commitment to provide service for a couple years as a way of paying back our investment.

If you are older & returning to the workforce their are pell grants & other funding sources available.

Not meaning to say you are old, you just come across as mature.

Thanks!

Well I am at work taking some notes and the VP of academics walked by, she hadn't realized I was taking the course. I told her I wanted to take the paramedic but paying for it myself was hard because its a volunteer squad. She commented she will find me a grant.

And believe me, she will lol.

It is coming together. I told her I need to get through the EMT first.

Anyway, class was kind of hard last night. Not the material but several students snubbed me. A few wanted to ask about combining the two split mods etc. I told her it would be easier to absorb the grade over several weeks than with another test. She glared at me and told me that no one expects me to understand what they are all going through.

Quick history here. A big module exam on cardiac and diabetic emergencies. Plus stroke, seizures and syncope and dizziness.

It is said to be the toughest. We had several fail and the rest were Ds. Now our D is a 70 to 77% and F is below 70%

I got an 87% on the module. I was the only NON D or F.

So now I am the outsider. Yes everyone knows who it was. Grades are posted numbers are memorized. And I never said whether I passed or not, they assumed.

Now remember when I said several in my class will read or go on lecture alone and try to get by? I wasn't talking about the ones who could get away with that. :)

You're there to learn EMS, not make friends. I have a 4.0 GPA throughout college and this certainly has not helped me make friends at all, but I am there to become a nurse, not make friends. Who cares what they think?

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2

Based on your posting history alone there is no doubt in my mind that you have a medics heart and spirit. None.

Based also on your posting history there is no doubt in my mind that you will be less popular in medic school than you are now.Medic school, like basic, is filled with yahoos and sprinkled with those that make them look bad by trying to excel. Every place I've ever worked I've been popular...until I've taken a stand on something, or performed a procedure that others were afraid of....I mean terrifying stuff like starting an EJ...

But you know what? If I'm never loved and respected by anyone else but the people that have badgered me, kicked my ass, called me out, and held my hand here, then I'll consider myself a success as a medic.

I've been blessed to work with some amazing medics, have been schooled by more amazing providers here, yet am aware of none of them that is followed around by people asking permission to be president of their personal fan clubs. Some day I hope to consider myself their peer.

Constantly in EMS right is going to collide with popularity, and the path you choose in those sometimes uncomfortable, sometimes terrifying moments will define you as a provider.

I'm more than comfortable saying now that as a provider...my money is on you. Kick ass Babe...let the pussies console each other because in the end there will be a bunch of ER doc's, a few nurses, a surprisingly large number of basics, and a rare few others, that you'll give one shit about what they think one way ore the other. The others will watch you from the sidelines...part will swear you're an idiot, others will swear that they could have done better, but only a rare few will actually have the balls/ovaries to have even gotten in the game...

Stay here would you? I'm excited to watch you walk your path regardless what level of provider you choose...

• Like 1

Congratulations! Listen to what the others have said. Keep going and don't look back. Don't worry about what the others have to say, you are there to learn not to be popular. EMT classes usually have quite a few people who shouldn't be there and they get jealous of the people that succeed. Don't let them stop you.

• Like 2