Paramedics Australia membership

Deno

I'm a clinical practitioner on contract based in Asia (where I have been for over a decade).

I contacted Paramedics Australia around the time there was discussion about changing the name from Australian College of Ambulance Professionals (ACAP) about joining/membership. I felt that the site and what it offers members is appealing. The submission of the completed application form results in a determination by Paramedics Australia as to the type of membership and consequently the fees attached to that level of membership.

As required on the application form I listed my university qualifications/degrees (more than four) but excluded any not gained through the tertiary sector which are quite numerous, and was subsequently informed that I certainly qualified as a full member (though I cannot at the moment recall what level of membership), in which case the membership fees were some AU$300+ annually. That came as a complete shock, and I was somewhat flabbergasted given that I am not employed in OZ and therefore don't practice there (though this may change).

This resulted in me not joining as I appreciated that for the fees asked for there was not a lot of value in return, which is a shame really. If membership also was part of registration much like it is with a regulatory body for nursing and medicine via AHPRA and the relevant boards, I could understand the fees but this is not the case.

I feel that Paramedics Australia need to clearly disclose the fees and alongside the types of memberships available for which the applicant chooses. I am a member with multiple allied health organisations/associations including NZ Ambulance Association which charges far less in fees.

Nope... PA has a good set of ideals but they are piss poor in my opinion at selling themselves. Yes they are a lobby group and yes they will probably end up being our professional collegiate but at the monent they will get 300 bucks of your money and offer almost nothing unless you live in a Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Adelaide which makes them a pointless affiliation for most of us.

I am a PA member. I do question a bit what I am actually getting for my money, but I am a member for two primary reasons:

1. In principle, I think that it is good to be a member of our professional organisation if we want to continue to advance (though I agree that with PA there is a high price to pay for this!)

2. More importantly for me, I have not worked ambulance in Australia but am applying for industrial paramedic jobs and I feel like having PA membership and completing the PA CPD program makes me look more like a real Australian paramedic to Australian employers

The conferences are also good, but you could attend these and just pay the non-member price so I can understand why people may not be interested in being PA members. Unfortunately, I have found the PA to not always be very responsive to my issues as a member but apparently they will be hiring someone to help with some administrative things to improve the situation.

So I guess in my specific situation, I think that being a member is worth it (though maybe just barely!), but I do understand why others might not feel as though it is worth it for them.

They even haz New Zed chapter, not that it is very active.

There is debate here as to who will become the regulatory body for Paramedics when they are included in Health Practitioner Act next year.

Yes, I was aware of that as I received the email notification via NZ Ambulance Association when Paramedics Australia announced that they were looking to start a NZ chapter, and were on the hunt for signing up financial members. I sent them a email wanting more info, and clarification on fees for NZ Ambulance Association members but never got a reply.

Never got a reply?

As much as i question the use of PA, i have in the past also attempted to become a member, and like you the orespondance was lacking to i dropped the idea

Just for the record PA and ACAP in NSW are different identities.

PA didn't like the way that ACAP had a major input to things (even though ACAP was putting in most of the running capital) and disassociated.

Along the lines of what Bushy said...I was a member for a couple of years, but left as I felt it wasn't good value for money. However,
many of my colleagues seem to be affiliated. I will probably re-join at some stage, but can't justify it, espeically living in a reginonal area

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.