• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo

EMT-B study tips

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 paramedicmike

paramedicmike
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 3,441 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

In an attempt to understand where you're coming from, Mari, are you speaking from your experience as a current EMT student who has not yet taken any Registry test?  Or do you have an extensive background in education that you're withholding from us?

#17 scubanurse

scubanurse
  • Elite Members
  • 1,774 posts
  • Interests:(OIIIIO)
Excellent

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:18 AM

Don't worry about the students who are failing taking care of your family...they'll weed out of the program.

Your comments struck a cord with me as well. I've always been the kind of student that can pay attention in class and do very well. I'm a few weeks away from finishing nursing school and still have straight A's yet I very rarely spend much time outside of class and when I'm tutoring my classmates.

Broad generalizations aren't fair and should be avoided...on another note, where is your daughter in school? Second year of associates or BSN?

I have a bunch of friends from Iowa and one of them is looking at possibly going to nursing school.

Oh and I don't think I cracked my basic book until studying for my state exam...it is possible to pass basic on lecture alone, if it was a good lecturer.

#18 MariB

MariB
  • Members
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Black belt in Taekwondo.Spending time outdoors.
Good

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

In an attempt to understand where you're coming from, Mari, are you speaking from your experience as a current EMT student who has not yet taken any Registry test?  Or do you have an extensive background in education that you're withholding from us?

Both. We all speak openly about our grades and what not.Our tests are all based off past registry exam questions.And some, but would depend on your idea of extensive. :)Needless to say, the ones who took offense probably shouldn't have as it was meant as encouragement for one to do their best and was echoing the words of my instructor on the first day of class with the quote of "would you want them working on your family" I could mention the education of the lead instructor, but we only really saw him on the first day of class but i can assure you, his education passed mine up by years when he started signing PhD.

Don't worry about the students who are failing taking care of your family...they'll weed out of the program. Your comments struck a cord with me as well. I've always been the kind of student that can pay attention in class and do very well. I'm a few weeks away from finishing nursing school and still have straight A's yet I very rarely spend much time outside of class and when I'm tutoring my classmates. Broad generalizations aren't fair and should be avoided...on another note, where is your daughter in school? Second year of associates or BSN?I have a bunch of friends from Iowa and one of them is looking at possibly going to nursing school.Oh and I don't think I cracked my basic book until studying for my state exam...it is possible to pass basic on lecture alone, if it was a good lecturer.

Don't let my words of encouragement to one, offend you. Some people are lucky, others are not. My daughter will graduate in 2015 with her BSN. She got all her pr-nursing done in a partnership program in Highschool. So most of her prerequisites were done before leaving Highschool.Iowa has a few really good schools with great nursing programs as im sure most states do, but im very impressed with the program she is in

Edited by MariB, 24 January 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#19 Richard B the EMT

Richard B the EMT
  • Elite Members
  • 6,988 posts
  • Occupation:Retired EMT-B from the FDNY EMS Command on October 5, 2010, active, overall, as an EMT from 1973 to...
Excellent

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

All here know what they call the people with the lowest passing scores on the EMT, Paramedic, and Nursing class final exams, dontcha? They call them EMTs, Paramedics, and Nurses. While that's a LOL, it's also the case.

I know, over the many years I've been in the EMS systems (date back to 1973), of many high scorers who have no real heart in what they do, and low scorers who are some of the most dedicated EMTs, Paramedics, and (FDNY EMS) Lieutenants and Captains one could work with, or be supervised by. I've left out the Chiefs, because they serve at the discretion of the FDNY Chiefs of Department and the Commissioner, none of which are medically trained beyond Certified First Responder-Defibrillator..

#20 MariB

MariB
  • Members
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Black belt in Taekwondo.Spending time outdoors.
Good

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

All here know what they call the people with the lowest passing scores on the EMT, Paramedic, and Nursing class final exams, dontcha? They call them EMTs, Paramedics, and Nurses. While that's a LOL, it's also the case.
I know, over the many years I've been in the EMS systems (date back to 1973), of many high scorers who have no real heart in what they do, and low scorers who are some of the most dedicated EMTs, Paramedics, and (FDNY EMS) Lieutenants and Captains one could work with, or be supervised by. I've left out the Chiefs, because they serve at the discretion of the FDNY Chiefs of Department and the Commissioner, none of which are medically trained beyond Certified First Responder-Defibrillator..

I think having your heart in the right place and being the best you can be is more important than high scores on tests. Some people don't test well. I personally believe, my opinion only, it is worth your best effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users