• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo
- - - - -

Blood Lancet Devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Blood Lancet Devices (10 member(s) have cast votes)

What sort of finger lancet do you use?

1. I use the reloadable pen style spring loaded lancet (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. I use the disposable single use lancet. (9 votes [90.00%])

Percentage of vote: 90.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#6 Ruffmeister Paramedic

Ruffmeister Paramedic

Chief in charge of my making my family happy Officer

• Chat Room Moderator
  • 8,185 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

There shouldn't be any use of reloadable lancets.  Think Infection control.  The single use lancets should be the only option according to my infection control contact.  

#7 Arctickat

Arctickat
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 1,888 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Flying
Excellent

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thanks guys.  We were recently issued new glucometers by our health region that included the reloadable pen device.  I challenged them on the use of the devices because the standard of practice has prohibited their use for almost a decade.  They haven't responded, but I refuse to use them.

#8 BEorP

BEorP
  • Elite Members
  • 845 posts
Good

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thanks guys.  We were recently issued new glucometers by our health region that included the reloadable pen device.  I challenged them on the use of the devices because the standard of practice has prohibited their use for almost a decade.  They haven't responded, but I refuse to use them.

Good call! They may want to look into what happened in this case: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...collegiate.html

The specific details of the potential exposure aren't completely clear from the news article (it refers to a "diabetes testing pen"), but it does say:

"The device — the little pen-like device — is meant to be a single-user device. The device itself should not be shared between people," said Dr. Cheryl Rockman-Greenberg, head of the pediatrics and child health department at the university's medical school.

The lancets were changed for each person, Rockman-Greenberg said, but the professor did not realize the pen itself is not safe for use by multiple individuals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users