EMT Dead Following I-79 Accident in Lewis County, WV

UPDATE: EMT Dead Following I-79 Accident in Lewis County

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 7:23 AM CST Updated: Jan 15, 2013 11:24 AM CST

By Stacy Moniot, Anchor/Reporter - bio | email

Courtesy: Jan-Care Ambulance Services

Local News

UPDATE: EMT Dead Following I-79 Accident in Lewis County

Jan-Care Ambulance Services confirmed Tuesday morning that a Jan-Care EMT died following an accident on Interstate 79 in Lewis County.

A Jan-Care ambulance was returning to the station from an EMS transport when it collided with a flat bed semi truck Tuesday morning, according to Paul Seamann, Director of Operations at Jan-Care Ambulance Services.

Jan-Care EMT, Mark Kinder, 26, was injured in the accident and later died as a result of those injuries at Stonewall Jackson Hospital, Seamann said.

Seamann said the paramedic on board was also injured in the accident but has since been treated and released from the hospital.

No patient was on-board the ambulance at the time of the accident, according to Seamann.

The Lewis County Sheriff's Department said the driver and passenger of the semi truck involved in the fatal crash were not injured.

There is no word on the cause of the accident.

The Lewis County Sheriff's Department and State Police are investigating the accident.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Story

An ambulance and a flat bed semi truck collided on Interstate 79 south near Weston Tuesday morning and closed the highway for almost two hours.

The collision happened south of the Weston exit at mile marker 97.5. Lewis County Sheriff's Department and the Weston Fire Department were called to the scene. An accident reconstructionist was also called in to investigate.

Drivers on I-79 south of Weston were stuck for an hour and a half until crews opened the shoulder to allow them to pass through.

Crews on the scene and the Lewis County 911 officials were not able to confirm any injuries from the scene. Check back for updates.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.