2.0 GPA just to train as an EMT ?

Trm90

Are you kidding me right now?

Here is what you need to get into the BHSc (Para)

• Must be capable of meeting HPCA Act requirements and provide a police clearance;
  • Applicants with a Certificate in Health Care Support, or with a previous or partially completed degree .. must have achieved a minimum of a B grade average;
  • Applicants over 20 without previous tertiary qualifications must supply a CV and references;
  • 14 NCEA credits at Level 3 in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, or Mathematics with Calculus and
  • 14 credits at Level 2 or higher in English or CIE English and
  • 14 credits at Level 2 or higher in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics and/or Health or Physical Education.
And yes, this is the only route now to a paid job in Ambulance, the ab-initio days are dead and by 2015 the Ambulance Service will only employ graduates (as it bloody well should!).
So um yeah, about that "C" average of yours ....
Edited by Kiwiology

Some places seem to have all kinds of "Admission Requirments" just to be allowed to take an EMT class.... why is that? The Hospitol I want to take it at only requires the money and a simple application....
Some places seem to have all kinds of "Admission Requirments" just to be allowed to take an EMT class.... why is that? The Hospitol I want to take it at only requires the money and a simple application....
The wording Just to be an EMT is what I kind of took offence to. I just work hard at striving for the highest grades for the simple fact that I feel my pts deserve a paramedic that has the ability to understand and be able to help them and not kill them. If you feel a c average is to high and obviously you don't have a c average since your complaining about it. I would suggest you not look into being a medic and save yourself a future lawsuit .

We require a minimum grade average of 85% to be allowed to take the end exams and sit for the state tests. any less and bye bye.

Thanks for wasting our time.

The EMT basic course is written on a 9th grade level.

Hey I can spell! I am not writing a book so why do I need proper grammar? I am sure that the guy dying on the side of the road will not care very much about my grammar or spelling.

And we wonder why EMS has trouble proving itself as a profession...

Ya in nursing school 80% is a C-, anything lower is a F

Edited by ChaseZ