How many medics have returned to work post disc extrusion?

Just curious to find out how many paramedics where able to return to work after a disc extrusion (not herniated/bulged disc but extrusion) either with or with out surgery? Feeling about a bit discouraged today.

I would be very very interested to know.

Thank you so much!

• Like 1

• Disc Protrusion
    Commonly called a disc bulge, a disc protrusion occurs with the spinal disc and the associated ligaments remain in tact, but form an outpouching that can press against the nerves.

• Disc Extrusion
    A disc extrusion occurs when the outer part of the spinal disc ruptures, allowing the inner, gelatinous part of the disc to squeeze out. Disc extrusions can occur with the ligaments in tact, or damaged.

• Disc Sequestration
    A disc sequestration occurs when the center, gelatinous portion of the disc is not only squeezed out, but also separated from the main part of the disc.

No matter what you are calling it, the odds of successfully regaining your full strength and stability of your spinal column will have many variables. You ability to go through the surgery and how they decide to repair it. There are people with steel rods implanted that are back on the job, and folks that are sitting in recliners feeling sorry for themselves.

All three can be considered types of herniation. However, the severity of signs and symptoms vary significantly. Somebody with a large extrusion may have minor issues while another person with relatively minor protrusion may have severe pain and neurological deficits. I have a large herniation along with spinal stenosis and my symptoms are very mild compared to some people. It's also not uncommon for people with unremarkable MRI's to experience significant signs and symptoms. Lower back pain and disc abnormalities are very common and many people go on and recover with or without surgery. Individual mileage may vary unfortunately.

• 1 month later...

My discs didn't herniate, but were bulging and required months off work to heal. That was 3 years ago. I have a few co-workers who herniated and underwent successful surgery, and came back to work. It can be done. Weight loss, and the swimming pool are your friends. Ice alot and beware of those damned painkillers that suck the life out of you and prevent you from taking a proper crap! Go to your physical therapy appointment and buy into them. Those PT's are amazing at what they do. Don't lose hope!!! You can do it!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an artificial disc, and had multiple steroid injections. Occasionally my ass and giggle berries go numb when I'm sitting, but seems to be okay. Not all its cracked up to be, I can lift, but carrying hurts. Actually, I think I have something else going on. B/c if I lift and carry, after I set w/e it is down, I immediately feel like I'm going to faint and it continues for several minutes. Dunno.. I prefer not to go to a doctor unless I feel that neglecting my self will result in death.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.