Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

ADVANCED EMT National Registry

26 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I am scheduled to take the national Registry for ADVANCED EMT sometime in January. I am curious if anyone has taken the registry and what should I expect on the exam?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a firefighter and my job is on the line if I do not pass the exam in 2 attempts.

Posted · Report post

Were you an intermediate prior to this?

Or is this a new level for you?

Posted · Report post

Are you talking about the psychomotor exam or the CBT?

Posted · Report post

I was not an EMT-I before this,....The Fire Dept I work for trained us to be EMT-B, and I passed the registry fo that certifcation on my 1st attempt. we had (3) weeks of classwork for Advanced EMT and now are studying for the Advanced Registry written exam in January. I am very nervous about the exam and what to expect.

Posted · Report post

I did a three part series on the cognitive AEMT exam. I can only link two videos in one post but the third should be easy to find. I do not discuss specific questions however, and the onus is still on you to study:

http://youtu.be/P828MnPJA40

http://youtu.be/Zr-o_8TyuM4

http://youtu.be/ilC0PvqssE8

Posted · Report post

I watched those videos approx 3 weeks ago and took several notes pertaining to the material... it was very informative. We feel that our instructor did not teach as well as we had hoped and been self studying for registry. this was the first time he taught Advanced so we're all kinda worried about what to expect. I purchased 2 items from testing sites online and those seem helpful, but just stressing a little.

Posted · Report post

What areas of knowledge do you feel unsure about?

That would be a good place to start with.

Maybe we can help clarify those areas for you.

Posted · Report post

I am having issues with the Medications....I am getting confused with hypertonic, isotonic, hypotonic, etc....Is any of that on the test????

Posted · Report post

I am having issues with the Medications....I am getting confused with hypertonic, isotonic, hypotonic, etc....Is any of that on the test????

They all could be. With computer based no way of knowing as it bases questions off how you answered other questions.

Posted · Report post

Not the AEMT exam. Currently, it's a straight 135 questions and a certain percentage of content from several sections will be included on the exam. It may end up being an adaptive test in the future. I outline the content areas and percentage of content found on the exam in the videos.

Posted · Report post

For the solutions, get your book out and fill out the attached grid. It really helped me to see it all laid out on one page and see the differences between the different solutions.

Soluions Grid.pdf

Posted · Report post

Wonder why they didn't start out adaptive testing?

Posted · Report post

I suspect the registry will transition to an adaptive after they have had enough people go through the current AEMT questions and enough time has passed to properly pilot questions so they can have a good idea where the average student is testing in terms of overall score and performance on types of questions and specific questions. The AEMT is so new it will take a while to really put a good adaptive test in place. Even the psychomotor process has seen changes as a cardiac arrest/AED station was added to this testing process.

I will say that the AEMT exam dives into significantly more detail than the I/85 exam and really focuses on basic shock pathophysiology. Anecdotally, I liked the exam and think it requires an improved understanding of the human body. It also has allowed us to push through new pre-requisite courses such as a semester of A&P, English composition and a medical math class.

Posted · Report post

Thamks for all the help guys!!! I will probably have the exam the week of the 7th or 14th!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Good to see improvements around needing to know more about physiology and such like

I will say it again, Chris your voice is so soothing, almost puts me to sleep :D

All the best for your test there csoltes!

Edited by Kiwiology

Posted · Report post

Do you know if you need a straight 70% to pass or do you need to pass each individual section with a 70% or better just like the basic exam?????

Posted · Report post

We transitioned here in Kansas (I think it was 128 hours, plus 30 hours in the field under a paramedic). I'm not sure what the National registry requirments are as we didn't have to do any testing. All of our testing was done in the transition class. Just study. Be confident in yourself and ask questions if you to.

Posted · Report post

Hey Chris,

My AEMT Students will be taking their tests over the next few weeks at different locations. I have made your youtube visdeos available for all of them in addition to our study time and they all have expressed that they enjoyed the videos and that they were very helpful. So far the only student to take both the written and the psychomotor was a first time pass on both, so I think I am on the right track with them. As an instructor I felt a bit of trepidation teaching a new class/scope to a test that was still an unknown at the time. Looking back, we may have over-taught it, but all in all I feel pretty good and will be repeating the experiance this summer as well.

For what its worth, it came out to just over 210 hours didactic and an average of 40 hours clinical (mostly in hospital, though that will change this next time) though some students did close to a 100 hours clinical through special arrangements. We started with 12 and ended with 10.

Anyway, I just wanted to give props for the videos.

-Steve

Posted · Report post

Steve: Were these new to the level students? Or upgrade from I-85?

Posted · Report post

Cool. I hope your students found the videos helpful.

Posted · Report post

Hello,

I am taking the National Registry Exam for the 3rd time! I am really wanting to pass. I have studied both times before but still get Nearly passing on 3 topics and below on two. Can you tell me how many questions i am missing for nearly passing and below passing?? Thanks!

Posted · Report post

With CBT, each test is different. No one can tell you how many questions you're missing or guessing correctly on. Good luck!

Posted · Report post

The AEMT exam is not adaptive however.

Posted · Report post

Hi as i will be moving to CA next year and work as an EMT 1 in Ireland, 911 for 16 years. Do you have any idea what i will need to change over ?

The videos are very good well done.

Posted · Report post

Your best bet is to contact the California EMS office and find out what you will need to do in order to work in CA. As you're coming from Ireland I'm sure there will be some evaluation of your education/training needed to determine if you will have to take any additional coursework.