Old Medics, Old Drugs

P_Instructor

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no OB wonderkind but isn't it still used in pre-term labor or something in the OB realm?

Actually I found out the hard way the effects of albuterol on labor. The wife was in labor, and she is an asthmatic. We waited until contractions were pretty close- 5 minutes apart- before we went to the hospital- 10 minutes away. (2nd kid)

Only 3-4cms dilated, so we did laps around the floor for awhile, and things were progressing nicely. Of course she got winded, took some albuterol, and things came to a grinding halt. I asked why the slowdown, and they told me exactly that- albuterol is similar to something used to stop preterm labor. Took about an hour to wear off, and then things went into overdrive- to the point where I almost delivered my daughter on my own in the birthing room.LOL

Speaking of old; I recently got a look at some stuff from the bad old days (1996) and oh my how archaic things were back then and how far we have come

Ambulance Officer (Proficiency Ambulance Aid Certificate - six weeks)

OPA, oxygen, entonox, aspirin, salbutamol

Intermediate Care Officer (Post-Proficiency Ambulance Aid Certificate - ten weeks)

AO plus manual defibrillation, cardioversion, IV cannulation, NaCl 0.9% IV, GTN spray, IM glucagon

Paramedic (Advanced Ambulance Aid Certificate - one year)

ICO plus nasopharyngeal airway, laryngoscopy, intubation, cricothyrotomy, chest decompression, intraosseous access, adrenaline, atropine, lignocaine, stesolid, morphine, nalbuphine, naloxone, frusemide

Emergency Medical Technician (Diploma - up to two years)

OPA, NPA, LMA, entonox, methoxyflurane, nasopharyngeal airway, nebulised salbutamol, nebulised ipratropium, GTN spray, IM glucagon, oral ondansetron, oral loratadine, nebulised adrenaline, PEEP valve, tourniquet.

Paramedic (Degree - three years)
EMT plus manual defibrillation, synchronised cardioversion, IV cannulation, IV fluid administration, IV glucose, morphine, fentanyl, naloxone, ondansetron, IM adrenaline, IV adrenaline for cardiac arrest, IV amiodarone for cardiac arrest, ceftriaxone, naloxone, midazolam (seizures).

Intensive Care Paramedic (Degree + PGDip - one additional year)
Paramedic plus laryngoscopy, endotracheal intubation, capnography, cricothyrotomy, chest decompression, IO access, IO lignocaine, IV adrenaline, atropine, amiodarone, adenosine, midazolam (sedation), ketamine, pacing, vecuronium, suxamethonium (selected personnel only).

Edited by Kiwiology

I thought I posted this before but it seems to have disappeared. The leave 'em dead thing was a JOKE- from years ago. It was not a comment on the drug's efficacy. I haven't been here in awhile and I forgot how flip comments are too often misinterpreted.I thought this was a more lighthearted thread- my bad.

I think we all know that you've been doing this since before many of us were born and have a wealth of knowledge to share. I didn't intend to be disrespectful in any way, I just like talking pharm.

I'm no OB wonderkind but isn't it still used in pre-term labor or something in the OB realm?

OB confuses me too. With our second child, my wife, or I guess my unborn daughter, was having some nasty deep broad decels. The midwife ( think NP - these were real medical practitioners) ran off to the gyne, and came back with a dose of terbutalinw. That, and some positioning slowed everything down nicely. Problem solved.