Back in the day...

ERDoc

I remember hearing a grizzled old medic say that one form of extrication was taking one tow truck on one end of a car and another on the other and just yanking. C-spine be damned back then.

I saw that done a couple of months ago.

Well, they aren't going to get to the hospital without it.

If you mean drive safely to ER I agree. If you are saying driving like a bat at of hell I disagree. The few seconds to couple of minutes saved in city services will make no difference. In frontier areas like mine the 5-10 minutes saved probably won't make a difference if they are that bad. But if while driving fast, blowing intersection the ambulance crashes you have lots more patients and the one you were giving a diesel bolus to still dies.

If you mean drive safely to ER I agree. If you are saying driving like a bat at of hell I disagree. The few seconds to couple of minutes saved in city services will make no difference. In frontier areas like mine the 5-10 minutes saved probably won't make a difference if they are that bad. But if while driving fast, blowing intersection the ambulance crashes you have lots more patients and the one you were giving a diesel bolus to still dies.

But this is EMS, drive fast or go home. You are right though, a diesel bolus could be a bad thing, especially when used to ignite the pt.

• Like 1

Started in 1996. MAST/PASG was a well recognised intervention, the EOA/EGTA's were not uncommon, trauma patients received aggressive fluid resuscitation, supraglottic airways were frowned upon, the AED had not proliferated, Carbon-dioxide monitoring was not frequently used or even talked about, bretylium was still around, one of the first paramedic programmes in my state was conducted around 1998-1999 and consisted of just over 800 hours of total training.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.