Writer Looking for Consultant

Roni

You are correct, they are license plate cameras. They can scan about 1000 plates a minute and will alert if the car is stolen or the Registered Owner has a warrant.

I personally don't like them. I think it is a distraction and poses a risk to the officer. If they attracted your attention then they attracted others attention. With people demanding more privacy (sometimes using violence to get it) it can make some people target the officer. In addition some departments don't use common sense when mounting them on the vehicle.

I didn't like anything mounted on my car though. I wouldn't even let them mount a radar unit on my car. Just picky that way I guess.

Actually I just saw a officer today with about a dozen camera's mounted on his car and I followed him to a Steak and Shake and struck up a conversation with him and he confirmed your info. He says they hate em too but he said that his town has the highest stolen car recovery rates in the metro area so they couldn't resist that grant money that came with the cameras. He said that there will be a total of 12 new cars equipped with these camera systems which for this town that's I think their entire fleet. So I guess every officer will get a new car.

• 4 weeks later...

Your Bear looks like he's watching a climbing accident.....

I got no problems sharing what I know with people who are interested. The first half of my career was spent in law enforcement. While this is an EMS website - if I can help people, especially those who work with cops, understand a little more maybe it could help in some form of our jobs.

It really makes a difference Mike, thanks. Plus it's just cool to know what's up.

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile. You guys still willing to help me with my book? If all goes well it's going to be a series of books.

I'm just coming to a paramedic scene and need to know how this victim will be treated at the scene.

My 18 year old female victim has fallen. She was doing a cheerleading stunt outdoors on hard pavement. She was standing on another girl's shoulders. Let's say the two girls are just a little over 5 feet each. If you measured to the top of her head while she was standing, she would have been a little over 10 feet high. When someone asks how far she'd fallen, would you include the height from the top of her head or would it be closer to 5 feet, measuring from how high her feet were from the ground?

Whatever the height would be in this scenario, would it be possible for the victim to have been knocked out from the fall at that height?

Would she be placed on a backboard and is it possible for her to have been unconscious while her torso had been strapped and come to about the time the ankles were being strapped?

What if she had a gaping head wound (forehead)? Are you going to cover it and put the head strap right over the wound?

If so, isn't that going to hurt a bit? Would you be doing anything for pain or leave her to suffer until she's treated in ED?

Can't remember how to do quotes on this site. Want to thank MikeEMT for the info. I agree with DwayneEMTP it's nice to have the info on the forum instead of one on one and Emergency Laughter, congratulations on your book and my bear IS watching a climbing accident..lol

I would like to use my books to teach my readers something. If there's anything you guys would like readers to learn or know about your work, tell me things I can write about in my stories. I recently took an online writing class and wrote a story about a guy who didn't want to pull over for an ambulance. Wasn't written in the best way. Everyone knew his son at school may have lived if he would have pulled over, long before I got that far in the story. But it did make people think.

Thanks for your help all!

-Roni

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.