Writer Looking for Consultant

Roni

Hello,

I’m an aspiring fiction writer looking to consult someone regarding the EMS profession. I have a consultant concerning my climbing characters and find it easier to ask one person questions rather than a whole forum.

If you frequently respond to climbing accidents or were in law enforcement before EMS, I have specific questions for you, but I’d appreciate help from anyone willing to answer questions for as long as it takes to complete my manuscript.

There’s no pay involved, but I promise your eyes a good workout (as they roll frequently at the questions you’re asked) and a signed copy of my book when published.

Thanks for your help.

-Roni

I finished law enforcement training in '91. Due to an injury I sustained in an attempted escape from the detention facility I worked in, my career was over before it began.

In '91 there were no computers in the squads, officers carried hand-held radios, and no one carried cell phones. Would you be willing to explain how all that works these days?

I finished law enforcement training in '91. Due to an injury I sustained in an attempted escape from the detention facility I worked in, my career was over before it began.

In '91 there were no computers in the squads, officers carried hand-held radios, and no one carried cell phones. Would you be willing to explain how all that works these days?

Computers in the squads (called MCT's or MDT's) are used for multiple uses. Typically the "Home Screen" will be the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) page. This will show all of the units working, what calls they are on and what calls are pending. This allows officers to "self dispatch" and not wait for a dispatcher to send the call. I would also be able to look up details of a call that I am on or interested in. I can look up history of the call (i.e. how many times have we been to this residence in the past). I can run license plates while I am out on patrol to see if a driver has warrants or if the car is stolen. When on a traffic stop I can check the status of their license. I can also run people for warrants in general. Back in '91 officers had access to all of this information you just had to get it from a dispatcher.

Radios are now going digital which makes them more secure and reliable. Cell phones are used to call people what my old department called a phone detail. Not every "victim" requires in person contact. Sometimes a phone call is all it takes. With smartphones some departments are integrating their MCT's into the phone as well. This makes it really useful for bike or foot patrols and gives them the same capabilities as their vehicle counterparts.

• Like 1

I love that you're sharing this in the thread instead of privately....really cool Mike...

I got no problems sharing what I know with people who are interested. The first half of my career was spent in law enforcement. While this is an EMS website - if I can help people, especially those who work with cops, understand a little more maybe it could help in some form of our jobs.

• Like 1

Yeah Mike, a lot of times there is animosity between LEO's and Ems and vice versa. That animosity I would hope ends when either one needs the other in an emergency.

The info you gave above is pretty cool.

I was driving in Little Rock the other day and I saw the strangest thing on a police car. ON the front end hood and the back of the car were about 10 cameras mounted pointed towards the ground. Do you or anyone out there know what those cameras are for? I was told that was so they could run every license on the road without having to call it each in to dispatch. that it was a pilot project at certain departments.

Any ideas Mike?

Computers in the squads (called MCT's or MDT's) are used for multiple uses. Typically the "Home Screen" will be the CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch) page. This will show all of the units working, what calls they are on and what calls are pending. This allows officers to "self dispatch" and not wait for a dispatcher to send the call. I would also be able to look up details of a call that I am on or interested in. I can look up history of the call (i.e. how many times have we been to this residence in the past). I can run license plates while I am out on patrol to see if a driver has warrants or if the car is stolen. When on a traffic stop I can check the status of their license. I can also run people for warrants in general. Back in '91 officers had access to all of this information you just had to get it from a dispatcher.

Radios are now going digital which makes them more secure and reliable. Cell phones are used to call people what my old department called a phone detail. Not every "victim" requires in person contact. Sometimes a phone call is all it takes. With smartphones some departments are integrating their MCT's into the phone as well. This makes it really useful for bike or foot patrols and gives them the same capabilities as their vehicle counterparts.

Very valuable information. Thanks so much. Things sure have changed!

I was driving in Little Rock the other day and I saw the strangest thing on a police car. ON the front end hood and the back of the car were about 10 cameras mounted pointed towards the ground. Do you or anyone out there know what those cameras are for? I was told that was so they could run every license on the road without having to call it each in to dispatch. that it was a pilot project at certain departments.

Any ideas Mike?

We have a truck that does that. It scans all license plates with the hopes of finding stolen vehicles. We have a lot of illegals in my area and the truck is supposed to help identify vehicles that could be carrying them. Usually the off duty dispatchers drive it around and if anything pops up they send a deputy.

Yeah Mike, a lot of times there is animosity between LEO's and Ems and vice versa. That animosity I would hope ends when either one needs the other in an emergency.

The info you gave above is pretty cool.

Any ideas Mike?

You are correct, they are license plate cameras. They can scan about 1000 plates a minute and will alert if the car is stolen or the Registered Owner has a warrant.

I personally don't like them. I think it is a distraction and poses a risk to the officer. If they attracted your attention then they attracted others attention. With people demanding more privacy (sometimes using violence to get it) it can make some people target the officer. In addition some departments don't use common sense when mounting them on the vehicle.

I didn't like anything mounted on my car though. I wouldn't even let them mount a radar unit on my car. Just picky that way I guess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.