Can a first year med student legally treat patients without direct Dr. oversight?

DwayneEMTP

Hey Dwayne, what state did this happen in and is the doc an MD or DO? Also, do you know what medical school this med student was from? I'm sure the school would love to know that it's students are not being properly supervised.

I'm actually pretty interested to see how this develops. Seems like you have yourself a situation in which they're at fault in so many ways. If the billing company doesn't see it that way, I'm sure you could call the doctor up directly, too...If the billers aren't worried about it, he definitely should be...

I'm actually pretty interested to see how this develops. Seems like you have yourself a situation in which they're at fault in so many ways. If the billing company doesn't see it that way, I'm sure you could call the doctor up directly, too...If the billers aren't worried about it, he definitely should be...

Unless the doctor is complicit in the entire thing as well.

But Doc, I'm sure that you know doctors who don't really care and are just in these URgent care centers for the money right? Or were you referring to the student? We might not be talking about the same individual.

I'm saying that the doctor who is running things might not be too concerned about Dwayne's bill. Makes me wonder if this isn't a pattern that is prevalent at this particular clinic?

And yes in a perfect world, the doctor should be worried about it but he just might not give a shit

• 2 weeks later...

According to a message left at home the Dr. is claiming that he saw me and did a full assessment. Babs sent me his bio from the hospital web site, with his pic, and I do remember seeing that doctor sitting in a little computer nook visiting with some nurses or such, but he never spoke to me, and certainly never entered my exam room...

But if all involved are willing to lie about it then I don't really see any way that in not going to take a bath on this...

In fact, the last thing that the medical student said to me was, "and the doctor agrees with my diagnosis.." but like an idiot I'd assumes he was doing some polite bragging before the doc came in..

Babs is doing the research regarding the steps necessary to file a formal ethics complaint, starting with the link kindly provided by the Doc, but if they are all willing to lie, what can be done?

It's so frustrating trying to fight this from another country on a gig so remote that I only have phone or internet foe a few hours per week...but it's gone way past being an issue of money now. I can't really lay down on the ethics..