advice

ems94

My biggest piece of advice to you is even if you are wanting to stay at the EMT level is never stop taking other courses...take an A and P class, biology, O Chem anything that will better the knowledge in your mind and allow you to be a better provider all the way around. The other piece of advice is no matter how big and scary partners/preceptors might seem they have all been in your shoes once.

thanks captain. Which is better for you? Truck based or er based. We have a private service in our area rural metro, but from what I hear working as an er tech is better than on a truck...opinions?

Ok, depends on what you are wanting but I've found that an ER based (hosptial based) EMS System gives you a very good grounding on your career. But that service should provide you the opportunity to work in the ER. My first paramedic service I worked at was a ER based EMS system where you worked the ER one night and then the ambulance the other. You were the primary EMS crew one night (you were assisting in the ED but available for calls) but the next night you worked you were the secondary crew who was assigned to work in the ED and when the 2nd ambulance was needed you went out on the call.

It worked out really well. I learned a LOT. You can go to work for a ER and just do the ER work but that will get old real quick if field work is what you are dying to do.

So if you don't have a hospital based ambulance service in your area and you really want to do field work then don't do the hospital route unless that's the only job you can find.

I second Tylers notion as to getting some pre-requisites out of the way as your DEGREE GRANTING paramedic program will require you to have these pre-requisites anyway. Get them done, you will be ahead of the game from those who are struggling to take the classes while in paramedic class.

I would also make sure you take at least one if not two english composition classes in your quest for EMS higher learning because you need to learn to write reports and having a good basis in how to WRITE correctly will keep your butt out of court more often than your treatment of a patient. If you write a terrible report a lawyer will sieze that terrible report as a means to question your skills and treatment of the patient and add your name to the list of defendants in a court case and you don't want that.

Here are two books I recommend

When Violence Erupts - by Dennis Krebs - the best keep your ASS safe book ever written. Get it, spend the 33 bucks and it will save your life.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Violence-Erupts-Responders-Continuing/dp/0763720704/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354123510&sr=8-1&keywords=When+violence+erupts

The Missing Protocol - how to write a legally defensible report This is a very expensive book but it's out there in a cheaper form somewhere. I used to have it but it's gone now. If you can find this book cheaper BUY IT!!! I guarantee it will save your ass just as often if not more often than book one above.

http://www.amazon.com/missing-protocol-legally-defensible-report/dp/0967129613/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354123675&sr=1-1&keywords=The+missing+protocol

You really put a lot of emphasis on degree granting programs. What do these books cover? And how expensive is book 2 exactly? As an EMR I love field work but never worked hospital based. My local ambulance service doesn't like to hire under 25 so I think my best shot is hospital based. I appreciate yalls help

Did you even look at the links that I posted? I'm not going to give you everything.

The link to the first one gives you a direct link to the description of the book and the price

The 2nd link doesn't give much. The 2nd book is how to write a EMS Report that is legally defensible. Write the report based on a legally defensible frame of mind. What tips and tricks to use. Write the report from a defense attorneys mind set since you will be the defendant rather than the plaintiff. And I know you didn't click on the link because you would not be asking the price because it's right there in plain sight.

I'm working on trying to find a better price.

You have to do some of the legwork.

Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Second piece of advice always make sure you read posts (and links) fully, it will save you a lot of butt chewing around here. Anyway I was once a student that tried to take the 0 to hero medic mill thing and it just didn't work out yeah I know the cook book on how to do things but I couldn't understand why I was doing it. The cook book method is not what the best for your patient, sometimes the protocols don't work out the first time the way they are supposed to. (At the risk at starting to sound like Dust {RIP} and Dwayne) You have to have a firm grounded knowledge base for why things happen before you can get the higher knowledge on how to fix them. I have come a long way since I took my first medic course and nearly failed out to where I am at now, having taken the entire course load to fulfill prerequisites to get a degree as well as taking a medic course the second time around. I am 1000% better as a COMPETENT pre-hospital care provider now than I was at first, and that is the end goal right to be better at what we do for our patients?

With that being said I still am not a great writer so forgive me Capt.

• Like 1

Well go to the 2nd link, shell out the $XXX,XX for the book I referenced and read it. You will be a better medic for it.

But make sure you can afford the book. It's pretty expensive. But please go look at the link. It'll save you a butt chewin

Apologies captain, my phone gave me a page load error. I kinda gave up and fell asleep after my last post. But now I've restarted my phone and it loaded. That is pretty expensive, but with the extensive information on correctly writing out a report, its worth it.

Thanks tyler. I know with many of the jobs I've had, things can't always be done by the book and be expected to work right...a lot of the machines at work can't be fixed by the book it takes a deeper understanding of how it works.

Well go to the 2nd link, shell out the $XXX,XX for the book I referenced and read it. You will be a better medic for it.

But make sure you can afford the book. It's pretty expensive. But please go look at the link. It'll save you a butt chewin

what happens when you dont work for a service thar requires you to write a report, but rather has a laptop or tough pad with an EMR loaded on to it