Welcome to EMT City
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Volunteer Services on East Coast

Posted · Report post

Hi guys,

Was wondering does anybody know of any volunteer ambulance services on the East coast that run ACLS calls and that would accept the NREMT-P qualification?

Any help greatly appreciated. :wave:

Posted (edited) · Report post

East Coast of....? Somalia?

Sorry, just had to get it in there before Mike shows up. Edited by Arctickat

Posted · Report post

threemilerun,
Pre your request, you might want to check with the states you are thinking of working in, to see if they will accept your certifacation. I know of atleast three cases where the state of North Carolina will not accept out-of-state certifacations. If you got it here, yes the state will accept it. FYI

Posted · Report post

There are lots of places with volunteer/ PAID /CALLPAY services that run at the Paramedic level and run ALS staffed when available.
East coast is many states and areas, from the redneck riviera of florida to Maine.

Posted · Report post

Depends on the state...be more specific :)

Posted · Report post

I hesitate to respond to this because I know exactly where my comments will go and how they will be taken.

As Kat noted, east coast of where? This is an international forum. There are a lot of east coasts to consider.

Next, as has been noted, if you talking east caose of the US and are a NR Paramedic then you need to look at individual states to see what their requirements for state licensure/certification are. Some states may accept your NR outright. Others may require a protocol test or some other state formality before documents are issued.

Lastly, while recognizing that everyone's motivations are different, why volunteer your time as a paramedic? It takes a lot of work to earn that certification. Why give it away for free? Also, if there are paid members of whatever organization you wind up working for there will be problems with you taking shifts from a paid staffer. Those problems won't come from management. You're free labour. Management won't care. Those problems will come from coworkers who will then view you as the problem for taking a job, even if just for a shift, away from one of the paid staffers.

Posted · Report post

Hi guys,

In follow up....I am an American citizen living abroad who qualified NREMT-P last year. I need to put some time up running ALS calls but cannot commit to a full time job. I am looking for a friendly NREMT state that I could do some volunteer work for. I am looking at travelling over for a few weeks every few months. Crazy as it may seem ...this is the position I am in ...

Posted · Report post

east coast of America!

Posted · Report post

North America? South America? Or Central America?

Posted · Report post

North America

Posted · Report post

Canada, United States, or Mexico.

I like this game!! It's fun!!

Posted · Report post

Florida or Maine? We're not trying to be difficult. There are a few of us well connected with volunteer departments throughout the east coast and need you to be more specific for us to help you. Search state EMS websites for their various NR requirements. Montgomery County, MD has a plethora of ALS volunteer departments. You will be hard pressed to find a department that isn't looking for a >1 year commitment and at least 12 hours standby/ week.

Posted · Report post

I hear yeah!!just looking for a service anywhere near an international airport that could mutually benefit

Look at Montgomery County [url="http://www.mcvfra.org/member-departments/"]http://www.mcvfra.or...er-departments/[/url]

ETA: Let me know which departments look interesting to you.

I know BCC, Glen Echo, Rockville all have Volunteer ALS as well has some others. Edited by Kate_826

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kate_826' timestamp='1353796818' post='290720']
We're not trying to be difficult.
[/quote]

Speak for yourself, I am trying to be difficult. :D

It's all I have.

[size=1]I'm a sad, sad, sad, little man.[/size]

Posted · Report post

Does anybody happen to work for any of these services on the East Coast of America that I might be able to bounce some ideas off?

Posted · Report post

Island EMT was correct. Many options out there. Southern Maine has MANY paid per diem operations that you could fit into.Many of these are running fairly often and with a large retirement population, the level of acuity can be pretty good. Where would you like to see your self? Eastport to Key West is a big piece of land.

Posted · Report post

Just a thought.....

you may not be able to just jump into a dept for a few weeks. In our volunteer dept for example, you need to be a member to run....otherwise you are not covered by our insurance while you're on the job..and to be a member, you have to be nominated, wait a month, then voted in. I'm not sure how other volley depts run tho.

Also, you would have to be up to date on your county's protocols , something that varies from region to region. Running w/ a dept for a few weeks doesn't really seem viable...imho of course :) but good luck!

Does it have to be East coast? I've got a couple contacts in services looking for PRN people that I might be able to pull some strings with to help you out.

Sent you a PM Edited by Captain ToHellWithItAll

Posted · Report post

[quote name='crashwilley' timestamp='1354294967' post='290919']
Just a thought.....

you may not be able to just jump into a dept for a few weeks. In our volunteer dept for example, you need to be a member to run....otherwise you are not covered by our insurance while you're on the job..and to be a member, you have to be nominated, wait a month, then voted in. I'm not sure how other volley depts run tho.

Also, you would have to be up to date on your county's protocols , something that varies from region to region. Running w/ a dept for a few weeks doesn't really seem viable...imho of course :) but good luck!
[/quote]

I was looking to do a year of ride along time...eg 1000 hours spread out over a year

Posted · Report post

Our volunteer dept takes 4 months. You have to make three consecutive meetings ( last Monday of every month) third meeting they vote fourth meeting you're active

Posted · Report post

[quote name='ems94' timestamp='1354509605' post='290995']
Our volunteer dept takes 4 months. You have to make three consecutive meetings ( last Monday of every month) third meeting they vote fourth meeting you're active
[/quote]
|Do you run ACLS calls?

Posted · Report post

I don't personally my scope of practice is BLS. I'm just an EMR as of right now...some of our guys have a higher scope of practice and are able to do more on our calls.

Posted · Report post

Well, if you wanna give Virginia a try, West End Volunteer Rescue Squad operates mostly in Richmond city, and runs ACLS. I believe that that every one of their ambulances operates as ALS, but you can check the site for confirmation (http://wevrs.org/). However, still gotta represent for Lakeside Volunteer Rescue Squad ( http://lakesiderescue.org/):We don't run exclusively ALS, but we run it often, in addition to BLS, depending on the call. You couldn't go wrong choosing either squad.