Hi there - NYC

arielspeedwagon

Hi everybody,

I wanted to say hi - I'm in NYC, thinking of getting my EMT-B. Seduced by some of the programs for free/low-cost options for women getting into it, worried about some of what I am hearing re: difficulty for getting a first job, especially right out of school - and especially as someone who doesn't have a car (does have a license) and would have a hard time getting somewhere far away. Debating something like doing EMT + also going for ambulance driving...boost that resume time.

Anyways, this board is clearly an amazing resource, and I imagine I'll continue to lurk as I figure it out.

Cheers,

-A

ArielSpeedWagon: Where in NYC are you at? If Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island or Manhattan, I have some Volunteer Ambulance Corps that might be in, or close to, your neighborhood, and definitely are looking for volunteers.

Hey,

I'm in Brooklyn, work in Manhattan. I'd love to hear your ideas. It seems like there is this cycle of "well, volunteer services suck for best practices, but transport means no skill use, but good luck getting a good job without experience, and to get experience you need to do a volunteer run or a transport..." If you knew of good volunteer options I would love to hear them. I was considering the Park Slope one because of train proximity but am open to elsewhere.

You can email me at arielfederow@gmail.com or if you prefer board messages I'll figure that out.

Thanks!

ArielSpeedWagon,

Welcome to the City, "Lurk" all you want, there is a lot to be learned from here. Some great posters lurk here.

Where in Brooklyn? Park Slope is just one Volunteer Ambulance Service in one community in the boro. If you need to, contact the NY State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association at NYSVARA.org, look for District 4, or District 18, which cover all 5 boros.

Some great posters lurk here.
If they're lurking, they're not posting, and if they're posting, they're not lurking. I admit to doing some of both.

District 4 is chummel52@aol.com ( Charles Hummel) covers Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, and parts of Queens,

District 18 is JoePulse@aol.com (Joseph DiBenedetto) covers Bronx and parts of Queens.

Hope this is some help..

I'm in Ditmas Park/Flatbush (depends who you ask!) off the Q train. I'll give the District 4 guy an email.

Do you have any sense of that volunteer vs. transport dilemma for a new EMT? Some of the other threads here indicate that not all volunteer services are created equal. I don't want to ask you to talk bad on anyone - hello, impolitic! - but I want to make sure that as much as possible I'm learning from the best.

Thanks a ton,

-A

I have not been in Brooklyn in many a year, But may I suggest you try googling "volunteer ambulances in brooklyn ny"? I tried it out of curiosity but I am no longer familiar with the boundaries of the areas.

Many years ago I was a flatbush resident (East 38th St & Quentin Road)

Hey E 38th St! I'm further west than that but not far.

I've been doing some looking, went to the open house for the BMCC EMT-B program. I'll do some checking around. I definitely don't mean to be talking badly on anybody, or any volunteer companies; I'm just trying to figure out how to reconcile all the different, sometimes conflicting info. Getting oriented is always hard with something new.

At any rate, thanks a bunch,

-A

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.