• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

WE ARE BACK TO USING THE ORIGINAL WEB SOFTWARE.  PLEASE LOG IN USING THE CREDENTIALS YOU HAD SET UP HERE ORIGINALLY.

Photo

Canadian medic looking to certify with NREMT

NREMT Canada california san diego emsa accreditation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#6 croaker260

croaker260
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 599 posts
  • Interests:EMS, RPG, Movies, Books
Good

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

There is no equivalency for non-US trained Paramedics. I researched this topic long and hard and the answer was simply you have to go through training again. There was talk of being able to prove equivalent knowledge and skill to enable taking the NREMTP exam but nobody was willing to help. You may be lucky and be able to gain recognition of prior learning from a community college Paramedic program for your PCP and ACP college credits and then have to complete some classes at that specific institution to get a Paramedic certificate or associates degree that would enable you to take the NREMTP test.

I am extremely curious why you would move from Canada (specifically Ontario, which is one of the better provinces) to the US, in particular California, to be a Paramedic. Have you researched pay and conditions and clinical context of the local area?

Respectfully KIWI, this is not completely accurate, though it isnt inaccurate either. There is a (slow) process the NREMT goes through, but the good news is that the ground work for Canadian to US transition has been done many times over (moreso that the AUssie/NZ transition) , so it is quicker than most. I only say this because we have at least one Canadian paramedic who works for us now.

That said, it is extremely slow and frustrating. I know you will need lesson plans, syllabi and similar documentation to prove equivalency If you are fortunate, someone from your province has already done this so it will be easier.

Either way, you pretty much have to start at the NREMT for most cases, then apply for state after that. Someone here may know of a state that will accept you straight across but I dont know of any. If you can get your state cert first you can back door the NREMT that way, but there arent too many of those states left.

I agree that if I had my choice I wouldn't work in California, especially in SoCal, its very restrictive for paramedic practice, not to mention the local FDs love to treat private service medics like crap. That said I would definitely do it if it kept me with my family, so best of luck there man.

Just found out I need a College to sign me off so I can apply under their name. I'm in the process now.

You should keep us posted on the details of your progress. This question comes up about every 6 months or so, so having an ongoing thread with details would really help a lot of people.

#7 Hockeygod

Hockeygod
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Respectfully KIWI, this is not completely accurate, though it isnt inaccurate either. There is a (slow) process the NREMT goes through, but the good news is that the ground work for Canadian to US transition has been done many times over (moreso that the AUssie/NZ transition) , so it is quicker than most. I only say this because we have at least one Canadian paramedic who works for us now.

That said, it is extremely slow and frustrating. I know you will need lesson plans, syllabi and similar documentation to prove equivalency If you are fortunate, someone from your province has already done this so it will be easier.

Either way, you pretty much have to start at the NREMT for most cases, then apply for state after that. Someone here may know of a state that will accept you straight across but I dont know of any. If you can get your state cert first you can back door the NREMT that way, but there arent too many of those states left.

I agree that if I had my choice I wouldn't work in California, especially in SoCal, its very restrictive for paramedic practice, not to mention the local FDs love to treat private service medics like crap. That said I would definitely do it if it kept me with my family, so best of luck there man.

You should keep us posted on the details of your progress. This question comes up about every 6 months or so, so having an ongoing thread with details would really help a lot of people.

Wow thanks for all that! I just got a bite from one of the more recognized colleges in San Diego so I'm hoping we can work something out. I will be harassing my College for all that information as well.

I'll be sure to let this forum know how it goes... It all has to happen before Dec. 15th as I'll be leaving for another contract in the Gulf.

#8 Hockeygod

Hockeygod
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ok...so scratch the whole "accreditation from a College" thing..

Anyone international looking to work in California has to get State certified first. Then EMSA will sponsor you for the NREMT test.

Check out: http://www.emsa.ca.g...dic/default.asp for forms.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NREMT, Canada, california, san diego, emsa, accreditation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users