AK bids farewell....

akflightmedic

Hello to all EMT City folks---past, present and future.

Some of you know me on a very personal level, some just know of me and some could care less...that is life.

Regardless, now that I have awarded this year's CAP Lab Scholarship in honor of Rob Davis, my next step is to say good bye to all those I have come to know, love, and respect here on EMT City. Yes, it is true, AK is retiring.

Writing this open letter has been a very difficult and emotional process. I have been with The City since 2004 and participated in many adventures because of it...good times, bad times, you name it I have been a part of it. Countless poser bustings, challenging debates, informative sessions...those have been fun and educational. As for relationships, I have made life long friends, I have had short time friends, I have had friends die, get married, get divorced, make babies...suffered through their problems right beside them, because that is what friends do. I have met some of the most inspirational people who receive all my respect in the world, there have been such amazing discussions offline....all of it has been amazing. There has been a very special person in my life because of this site, one who will never be forgotten, and this person knows who they are.

As I reflected on the years with The City, I realized how much like a family this is and I see how retirement is a process, very much like a relationship ending. I will miss everyone of course and there are those of you out there who know how to find me.

If I have enjoyed it so much...why am I leaving? This is a fair question and I will explain...being an integral part of The City has become an obligation. In my personal life, I have had many changes to include starting a new business. The business takes all my time and focus; this will not change anytime soon. I feel like a relic around here as none of my information or experience is relevant or valid. I feel like the old man on the front porch longing for the old days. I suspect part of the problem as well is the repetitive/cyclic nature of postings. Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just personally no longer have the energy or desire to assist and inform as much as I used to. I am no longer a willing participant.

Please do not misunderstand any of the above as bashing or negative. It is all personal changes within my life that has brought this forward. You, if you care, deserve an honest explanation.

I wish all of you the best and I know the "New Guard" will deliver to all the neophytes coming up through the ranks. The transition has been in effect for quite some time and is fun to watch...baby medics I mentored through school are now medics with years of experience and wisdom and are passing it on. It is an amazing process to watch.

Take care, stay safe and keep pushing for higher standards of education within our EMS system!

(I will be checking in for a couple more weeks only because of I have some active threads that I wish to close out, but yes this is a final act).

Thank you everyone!

• Like 2

You will be missed more than you know. Thank you for all you have done for the community and for me. You have pushed me and challenged me to not only become a better provider but also just a better person. Thank you.

WOW AK I hope everything in your life goes in the direction that you deserve. I have to say this forum will have alot less to give without your posts. I have learned many things from you and you have given me awsome advise through out the years (you may never have known that) you will be truely missed from many here.

Good luck to you sir...

AK- I find it interesting that you feel you have to disappear, rather than pulling back and lurking. Is there really NOTHING left of value here for you? I also am busy and don't have time to post much, but I do still lurk and pop in occasionally. Why the huge, final, whammo move?

Just my thoughts...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

RN-ADN Student

Damn it AK this is just because you were sick of hassling you because I want to get the hell out of New Zed isn't it? Dude you could have just told me to stop! :D

I know exactly how you feel mate; this place seems to go round and round in circle and eventually you get dizzy, oops, no thats the valiumz and multiple psychological infarcts I've had ... ooh look valiumz, mm num nums.

You are a person whom I have much greatness of the respect for and I wish you well; it is certainly my hope that we get the chance to meet one day; now that i am no longer wanted in Hillsborough or Duval Counties it will make my coming to visit much easier, I make a mean burger and offer of a BBQ still stands or if you don't trust my cooking I know a mean restaurant in Brevard County, but you will have to trust my driving ...

My sincerest best wishes to you and the rest of the AK clan

Kiwi the Kiwi

My thoughts Echo Wendy's.

I can't believe you're just walking away like that, I won't let you go without a fight.

This is a crap move on your part. Just because you're tired of saying the same things over and over again doesn't mean they aren't falling on the same old ears. new people learn new things and you're a wealth of information, even for us old buggers. It's just selfish of you to take off on us like that and I hate it!!!

Is there anything we can do that will change your mind? We'll really miss you and even if you can't be here as much as you used to, we'd really like you to come visit on occasion.

This place just won't be the same without you. :cry: We've grown to love you so much that you're really important to all of us. I know I am gonna miss you.

I suppose it's just the circle of life, people come, people go, those of us left behend just have to keep trudging on and living our lives as best we can.

Good luck to you my friend, warm wishes for a bright future.

I wish you best of luck. And you will be missed!!! you have helped me a lot in the past and i just wish you could still teach me but I am sure you on to bigger and better things!

I would like to wish AK all the luck with his new venture and will welcome him back anytime.

AK has been a great supporter here, and his decision to leave will be felt for some time to come.

He has been with this site for as long as I can remember and has stuck in there through the good and bad times here.

Good luck AK, and thank you very much for all of your support though the years.

AK: What can I say brother;

May you have fair seas & following winds my friend.

May your life's goals be met.

Stay safe!

Like you I have been considering when my retirement should happen. While I hate to leave what has been a part of over 40 years of my life, It will soon be time to let the kids sink or swim on their own.

Edited by island emt