Experience with hydrocephalic patients?

wlittle

Having been born with Hydrocephalus, I was wondering if anyone here on EMT city has had the experience of working with a patient with "hydro"? In my 49 years of dealing with it, I've only had to call EMS once and that was due to a severe headache and elevated blood pressure. That turned out to be a learning experience for all involved as neither of the medics had any experience dealing with a patient such as myself. In the end, it turned out to be caused by the elevated BP, but, due to the location of the headache as well as the duration, I was afraid it was the beginning of a dynamic change in the hydrocephalus.

I've had a few patients with it. I think it was usually for altered or sick/fever/weak type symptoms. I wasn't lead on any of those calls, so I don't quite remember more info about it...

If you have questions about it, please feel free to ask. Several of our local departments here around Atlanta have me listed as a resource for their EMS training classes. I love to answer questions and let folks get "hands-on" and examine my head if that will help them to understand the condition.

I've dealt with a number of hydrocephalic patients, though the only time it was ever for complications due to hydrocephaly was when I was still in school and a patient was having a shunt worked on.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.