• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

WE ARE BACK TO USING THE ORIGINAL WEB SOFTWARE.  PLEASE LOG IN USING THE CREDENTIALS YOU HAD SET UP HERE ORIGINALLY.

Photo
- - - - -

CPAP and administeration of oral medications

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Arctickat

Arctickat
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 1,914 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Flying
Excellent

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

I would agree, especially because the protocol indicates that, "Administer one dose of Salbutamol/ipratropium bromide if bronchospasm is present and the patient is not complaining of chest pain, which may be cardiac in origin."

Therefore, if the patient develops bronchospasm during an AMI then protocol CP2 trumps CP1 and we can't give ventolin.

Have I ever mentioned how I F---ing hate how our protocols have turned us into cookbook medics?

However, I am not your instructor...perhaps you should seek direction from the College, considering they're the ones who'll be raking you over the coals if they find an issue with it.

#27 J306

J306
  • Members
  • 133 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Absolutley, that was my interpretation as well. It is very frusterating how we are graded and judged on how we can twist or change the protocols to the "greatest benefit of the patient." I am all for doing what's best for the patient, but administering a drug which even has a chance of causing that patient more harm then good really makes me check where my values are.. I'll send the college an email and post the response to benefit other SK medics on this site.

#28 J306

J306
  • Members
  • 133 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:03 AM

Got a response from the college yesterday. They said that the protocols are currently being revised to become less standard procedures and more so guidelines. Within the next couple months they will be introducing a protocol deviation clause, which allows providers more freedom when challeneged with special circumstances in the field.

When I asked about the situation above, he said that since it was a relative contraindication that it was a cost/benefit situation and patient dependant, so we wouldn't get nailed to the cross for making an informed, intelligent decision given the situation and acting in the best interest of the patient.

In conclusion, another grey area. I was relieved to learn that the college is making steps in the right direction and empowering the providers to make those tough decisions in the field without having to worry about loosing their licence for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users