• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo
- - - - -

lignocaine Vs. Amiodarone

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 turbosinaboy

turbosinaboy
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:EMS, technology development
Neutral

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

Even with the Amiodarone being first place before Lidocaine in ACLS, I have heard that there's not such thing as the better. As said before, it's up to the patient's particular condition, sodium, potassium, and other levels. If you have all the metrics and are in the ER you can make some decisions. It is said that Lidocaine lost first place at the same time it lost the Patent (so it is very cheap) and Amiodarone (not so cheap) took the place.
I can only say that I have not any success history with any of them -few time using them, not a lot of lost patients ;-)-, but what have heard is that although there's not a clear difference some people would prefer to use Lidocaine in first place (they use Amiodarone, because of the ACLS), maybe just because they are used to.

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 12:44 AM

Even with the Amiodarone being first place before Lidocaine in ACLS, I have heard that there's not such thing as the better. As said before, it's up to the patient's particular condition, sodium, potassium, and other levels. If you have all the metrics and are in the ER you can make some decisions. It is said that Lidocaine lost first place at the same time it lost the Patent (so it is very cheap) and Amiodarone (not so cheap) took the place.
I can only say that I have not any success history with any of them -few time using them, not a lot of lost patients ;-)-, but what have heard is that although there's not a clear difference some people would prefer to use Lidocaine in first place (they use Amiodarone, because of the ACLS), maybe just because they are used to.

Greetings Heart and Soul;

Amiodarone damn it expensive stuff, but studies are looking good.
Do you use Procainamide its not a bad alternate.

Looking forward to more postings from your local amegio .....will send some snow, perheps a Beaver or a Moose?

Manyana.

ps thanks for the studies Chris :dontknow:

#18 kevkei

kevkei
  • Members
  • 334 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:34 AM

I can't speak on Amiodarone, but with respect to Lidocaine, I have found it to only be regularily and quite effective in refractory VF. Everything else is a crap shoot.

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2005 - 01:44 AM

I can't speak on Amiodarone, but with respect to Lidocaine, I have found it to only be regularily and quite effective in refractory VF. Everything else is a crap shoot.

Its all a crap shoot, Amnio the stuff is huge CND peso's, the Pfizer stock crashed due Vioxx and celebrex, just my luck.
Have ya got money on the BIG game? :?:

#20 Letterman

Letterman
  • Members
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:12 AM

I am not sure where you can find the study results now... maybe the prehospital research department at sunnybrook hospital might have them. But in the mid 90's toronto ems did a double blinded study with lidocaine and amiodarone with cardiac arrest patients. The results may have been scewed a bit as the amiodarone was pretty obvious to identify being that its viscosity was thicker than the placebo and it tended to foam on drawing it up. Regardless during a cardiac arrest after we opened up an envelope we used whatever the directions said lidocaine or amiodarone. I have had two viable survivers back from lidocaine, no survivors back from what I thought was amiodarone during the trial. ACLS courses in our area are suggesting that amiodarone has better antiarrhymiant qualities verses the lidocaine, and eventually we might see a switch in amiodarone going to a more effective ACLS class of antiarrhythmiant over lidocaine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users