IO access

littlemedic06

What is I/O?

Come on, Denny. You're starting paramedic school. While there will be things you'll need to ask people, looking something up first will go a long way to help you learn it.

I just googled "io access" to see what would come up. The very first hit defined it.

Taking charge of your own learning will serve you well in your EMS and medical career. Ask questions when you need to. But make the effort to find an answer first.

Respectfully submitted with no bashing intended.

• Like 1

Come on, Denny. You're starting paramedic school. While there will be things you'll need to ask people, looking something up first will go a long way to help you learn it.

I just googled "io access" to see what would come up. The very first hit defined it.

Taking charge of your own learning will serve you well in your EMS and medical career. Ask questions when you need to. But make the effort to find an answer first.

Respectfully submitted with no bashing intended.

You are absolutely correct Mike. I actually thought about that right after I posted the question. I like the way you think.

• 2 weeks later...

I got I/O access the first time this last week on a cardiac arrest so I could give epi. We have the EZ IO. Very easy to place and not at all difficult to do. VERY fast and easy to place.

• 2 weeks later...

We carry the ez-io gun. Carry the large adult and peds needles. For children our protocols are tibial tuberosity and adults always in the humeral head. The medical directors state there's some research that says stuff gets where it needs to go faster in the humerus.

You are absolutely correct Mike. I actually thought about that right after I posted the question. I like the way you think.

You been hitting the gym Bro? You look like you are getting fit.

In New Zed we used to have the old school Cooks screw in needle - that thing was freaking traumatic enough just to watch it going in, then it was decided to change to the BIG but this was withdrawn due to a very high failure rate so back to the manual screw in needles it was until about 3 years ago when the budget allowed introduction of the EZ IO

Intraosseuous access can be utilised by Intensive Care Paramedics in all age groupsidi when there is a time critical need to for medicines and or fluids and there is no IV access obtainable. Insertion sites are humerus or fibula only.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.