• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo

Remote Industrial Medics

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 DwayneEMTP

DwayneEMTP

Welcome to the jungle..we've got fun and games...

• Moderators
  • 4,611 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

Most medics that I know HATE those schedules...capitals appropriate. It just doesn't allow enough quality time at home. By the time you travel in, and travel out, you've lost most of two days, and five days isn't much time...plus, on a remote site there is a definite advantage to knowing your patients, and that happens best in an extended time...The main reason that most of us stay with these gigs is that it gives us a chunk of time at home to travel, dink around, whatever...

99% of what's going to happen in these places, the care provided, is going to be emotional, and OTC drugs...People need to know their medic if they're going to accept emotional support from them. Plus I'll bet most others on site aren't working a 7/7 schedule, and it can create hard feelings if your medic is the only one doing so. AND, the travel into and out of such places can be really expensive, doing it weekly instead of monthly adds up at the end of the year to a ton of cash...

It sounds as if you're trying to imagine this from a street medic's point of view. But if you intend to hire true, experienced remote medics instead of a bunch of your buddies, then you need to shift your thinking, in my opinion...

#12 Arctickat

Arctickat
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 1,891 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Flying
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Bro I appreciate the input...perhaps tying the medic's rotation to the same as the mine would be the best option. I'll have to determine what that sort of rotation would look like. All I know is that my brother works for Syncrude in the Oil Sands and is 7 on 7 off, so I was working with that. Then again, the medics I was looking to hire would only have a few hours of travel time...not days.

#13 DwayneEMTP

DwayneEMTP

• Moderators
  • 4,611 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

Yeah, that probably makes a difference. And maybe 7/7 is standard there and the contracting company can just piggyback your guys with theirs? Not trying to be a know it all my friend..just tossing out ideas...where do I submit my CV? :-)

Someone told me, Moebs maybe?, that they don't have the same requirements for remote work up there and hire American medics often...Just a thought...

#14 Arctickat

Arctickat
  • EMT City Sponsor
  • 1,891 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Flying
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

Snicker, don't get yer panties in a bunch yet....this is something that likely won't occur for a few years yet.

#15 DwayneEMTP

DwayneEMTP

• Moderators
  • 4,611 posts
Excellent

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Please don't say panties....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users