Remote Industrial Medics

Arctickat

Most medics that I know HATE those schedules...capitals appropriate. It just doesn't allow enough quality time at home. By the time you travel in, and travel out, you've lost most of two days, and five days isn't much time...plus, on a remote site there is a definite advantage to knowing your patients, and that happens best in an extended time...The main reason that most of us stay with these gigs is that it gives us a chunk of time at home to travel, dink around, whatever...

99% of what's going to happen in these places, the care provided, is going to be emotional, and OTC drugs...People need to know their medic if they're going to accept emotional support from them. Plus I'll bet most others on site aren't working a 7/7 schedule, and it can create hard feelings if your medic is the only one doing so. AND, the travel into and out of such places can be really expensive, doing it weekly instead of monthly adds up at the end of the year to a ton of cash...

It sounds as if you're trying to imagine this from a street medic's point of view. But if you intend to hire true, experienced remote medics instead of a bunch of your buddies, then you need to shift your thinking, in my opinion...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bro I appreciate the input...perhaps tying the medic's rotation to the same as the mine would be the best option. I'll have to determine what that sort of rotation would look like. All I know is that my brother works for Syncrude in the Oil Sands and is 7 on 7 off, so I was working with that. Then again, the medics I was looking to hire would only have a few hours of travel time...not days.

Yeah, that probably makes a difference. And maybe 7/7 is standard there and the contracting company can just piggyback your guys with theirs? Not trying to be a know it all my friend..just tossing out ideas...where do I submit my CV? :-)

Someone told me, Moebs maybe?, that they don't have the same requirements for remote work up there and hire American medics often...Just a thought...

When I was stationed in Western Australia a LONG time ago, The mining companies up on the north west coast, had onsite medical staff that basically rotated in & out on a 30 day basis.

They had a mobile home that included quarters on one end and an office / clinic on the other. The medics did all care available at the site 24 /7 for their time on location.

They did emergent care, daily sick call, drug & alcohol testing ,semi annual physicals ,eye exams and pretty much anything else the company wanted.

Anything they were not capable of treating required the flying doctor service to come in & take them out to Darwin or down to Perth.

All housing , meals,& transportation were provided by the company contracting the services.

At that time 30 something years ago it paid in the neighborhood of 75K plus all benefits & expenses.

Thanks Bro I appreciate the input...perhaps tying the medic's rotation to the same as the mine would be the best option. I'll have to determine what that sort of rotation would look like. All I know is that my brother works for Syncrude in the Oil Sands and is 7 on 7 off, so I was working with that. Then again, the medics I was looking to hire would only have a few hours of travel time...not days.

That would certainly be my suggestion. In my experience remote mines often run a 2-3 weeks on, 2-3 weeks off type rotation. Less remote mines (no on site crew housing) frequently run a 4 days on, 4 days off rotation (any medic who usually works ambulance will be familiar).

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Island EMT called it.

Everything that I have been reading online in the various overseas job listings is the same. Extended on/off duty time doing just about anything that you can think of. Housing included. Food not always listed as being included or not. Depends on how remote.

I know that working where I am currently, we do normal type rotations since we are hospital based EMS. Three on/three off 12 hour shifts. Hospital covers everything except food, wifi, phones, and outside transportation. Salary is pretty good (no taxes).

A lot will depend on where you will be, and what it is they want from you.

Edited by yakc130

I'll check back on this from time to time. A friend of mine does this kind of work on remote land drilling sites in Louisiana. 2 weeks on/ 2 off. The pay isn't what I would need it to be. I'm looking for a retirement gig, will need it in about a year and a half. I have friends at offshore companies who are making really good pay, working one month on, one month off. The best food. All travel paid, profit sharing. BUt I'd rather stay on solid ground.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.