Remote Industrial Medics

Arctickat

Hey Gang;

I've been offered an opportunity to make a presentation to a mining consortium for the provision of medical personnel to the mines in the area. Problem is, this is unexplored territory for me. Last time I did anything like this was as an employee, 25 years ago.

For those of you who are involved in the industrial medical aspect, how do things work for you? Who provides housing, the mine? Your company? How about transportation? Any special benefits? Perks?

I expect that my proposal is going to involve a basic service at a base price with customization options available, each at an extra cost.

Any advice from someone with experience in this would be a great help.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I can't help you with any of your questions, but I just wanted to say that you should keep us updated on whether you end up getting a contract and are looking for paramedics! Good luck!

I should mention as well that the mines are remote and the shift would be something along the lines of 7 on 24 hour call 7 off in the middle of nowhere. Bright side is that the high end of my proposal includes a Helicopter. :)

I should mention as well that the mines are remote and the shift would be something along the lines of 7 on 24 hour call 7 off in the middle of nowhere. Bright side is that the high end of my proposal includes a Helicopter. :)

You need to talk to Squint.

Last time I provided private ALS coverage I was making $625/day based on a 12 hour day. 24 hour a day coverage would obviously require a commiserate increase in compensation.

Are you looking at an expanded scope situation? IE suturing, antibiotics etc. with telemedicine available.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

maybe not that blatant.

But DWAYNE, are you reading this, you might want to see about contracting out with Kat's team. Doesn't seem that you will have any problems with your internet surfing on his outfit.

Kat, I'll walk off of this project tomorrow and come to work for you...

I'm not sure about Canada, but in most of the rest of the world it works kind of like this...

Usually the project puts constructs housing, though the level of housing varies greatly. Everywhere that I've been the medics have been considered 'management' with the perks that that entails. Usually other than getting better housing it entails nothing, as it should.

Meals are also provided by the project site. At the company that I work for now, my company arranges and pays for all travel and then bills it back to the project, with a profit I believe. Most everywhere except here if a person travels more than 4hrs by air then they travel buisness class. (Yeah, I've never landed one of those gigs.)

One issue that I see that will hinder you getting decent medics is having them take a break onsite. That's no break man. If you want your medics to be mental and emotionally healthy, then send them home. Work them 4-6 weeks without a break, but then bring in someone else and send them home to the bars, and women, and their families. Thinking of having them break onsite kind of shows that you don't really understand the stress of working remotely (that is the appearance that it gives to anyone considering working for you). I would never trust a company that expected me to do so. They are just too removed from the realities of the job to have any idea how to be trustworthy. Know what I mean?

I'll respond more in private, staying well within the confines of my contractual obligations of non disclosure of course... :-)

Or, if you want, I can give you a number to call..it'll cost you about $1/min, best case, but I'd be happy to talk to you if that would help?

4 - 6 weeks is a little long...I was leaning toward the 7 day in 7 out scenario. Average pay for something like this seems to be in the 600 - 750/day area. Onsite housing and a company vehicle...just gotta decide if the housing will be an atco trailer or something a little nicer. Modular home perhaps. I also need to get a clear definition of what the mines will want from their medical staff. Drug Tests? Immunizations? medical emergencies? Basically, will there be a clinic or just on call for medical emergencies with rapid transport available if needed.

Lots of questions will be asked at the meeting, I just want to be prepared to direct the conversation appropriately with my answers to them and their answers to me.

Edited by Arctickat

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.