New Here

RuralKSEMS

Welcome.

I just drove through rural Kansas. Not that that really means anything. But I thought about some of the farm accidents you must see. And the logistics involved in actually getting a patient to care. That rural a setting could be a very interesting place to work.

In six years I've never had a farming accident. Car wrecks, prolapsed cord, one gunshot, a crap ton of "granny runs" but never a farming accident. But I've learned to never say never. I'm sure I'll see it sometime. And, you can bet that we were thankful that we have a doctor in our rural area that is able to do emergency c-sections if no surgeon is available (nearest one is 1/2 hour away and only in house on Mondays). Most of anything serious gets shipped out (we also do interfacility transports to larger hospitals). But, a number of us have PHTLS training, we run with a few medics and nurses, about 15 AEMTS and quite a few EMTs.

DFIB, that cracked me up...

Welcome Jayme (Is that a girl's or boy's spelling?) Not important...Just curious. I'm guessing that a girl wouldn't have mentioned the dog along with the kids... :-)

Good to have you man...the secret to getting mentally stronger is to participate in the threads instead of just reading them...We could use your thoughts..

Dwayne

LOL, it's my mother's weird spelling idea when she had twins and didn't know she was having them until the doctor says "hold the shot there's another one coming". I'm a woman. I guess I could have grouped my husband with the kids, as he acts like one part of the time. The dog think's he's human all the time, lol. I've been busy looking around and commenting on threads that interest me as I get to know everybody here :wave:

Welcome, how rural are you KS?

i'm gonna bet you are a lady because most guys would have mentioned the dog but not the kids.

Nice to have you here.

I live in a town of 500, two small hospitals with in 20 minutes, another with in 30 minutes, a level 1 trauma center with in 60. (I'm an hour north west of Topeka~ the capitol, 25 minutes south of Nebraska, 75 west of St. Joe, MO)

And you would be correct on gender :)

Hey! Carfeful, guys, or we'll end up scaring RuralKSEMS off of the city!

I don't scare that easy. And it's all in good fun, which makes life interesting.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.